Posted by AleksanderA 
Delta Ceramic 3D Printer (need help)
August 20, 2013 01:04PM
Hi!

I would like to build a printer like this one:
[www.youtube.com]
The parts I already own are Gecko drive - G540 4-Axis Digital Step Drive:
[www.geckodrive.com]
( it is controled via the parallel port )
and four appropriate motors (guess I will need only three), power supply.. Other stuff
like linear grids, bellts and pulleys etc are allredy ordered and will probably arrive soon..
The problem is, I don't knov what software is appropriate for generating the G-code and driving the printer
in my case. I'm just a digital artist smiling smiley
Can anybody help me?

Thank you for any answer!

Best regards!

Aleksander
Re: Delta Ceramic 3D Printer (need help)
August 21, 2013 03:23AM
Have you looked at fabathome, not sure if its still active.

Random Precision
August 22, 2013 12:46PM
Thank you johnrpm. I already almoust have the machine.
Maybe I'm asking the wrong question.
So let me ask you this:
What software do I need to run a delta machine via the paralel port (step and direction) directly from
my computer?
August 22, 2013 01:29PM
AleksanderA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you johnrpm. I already almoust have the
> machine.
> Maybe I'm asking the wrong question.
> So let me ask you this:
> What software do I need to run a delta machine via
> the paralel port (step and direction) directly
> from
> my computer?

If you have to use the parallel port, you will need to use something like Mach3 or LinuxCNC, since there is no RepRap software that support parallel port (AFAIK). Because of this there is limited knowledge in Reprap circles.

You might ask in SeeMeCnc forums, since I know they support 3d printers with parallel port controllers.

Personally I think it makes sense to use parallel port if you already have the kit setup and are familiar with Mach3/LinuxCnc. Otherwise it is more flexible and an easier workflow if you buy a Reprap board like RAMPS and connect it to your Gecko drivers.
August 24, 2013 04:36AM
Parallel port is no good for standard reprap

no way to read temperature (no analog inputs on parallel port) But thats not needed in this case. But...

Current reprap software send gcode over serial (over UScool smiley to an gcode interpreter running on a atmega 2560 (typically)

You would need to write a gcode interpreter to run on your pc to drive the parallel port.
Sadly this will never work very well due to multitasking... If a mill pauses due to the OS doing something else it just sits there, if a reprap pauses it continues to leak plastic, making blobs!

Your need a real time OS or no OS at all (ie a micro controller)

You may be able to attach your gecko as if they where pololu modules to a standard RAMP style controller if they use 5v step and direction lines.
August 24, 2013 06:00AM
I don't need to use the paralel port and I also don't need to read temperature etc
This is a ceramic printer.
If I cud connect my gecko board to RAMP controller, that would be cool smiling smiley
Is this truly possible?

Thank you very much for your echo bobc and Dust!
August 24, 2013 06:18AM
just look for a parallel port breakout board. i did a ebay search and found one here. [www.ebay.com]

note that if you are connected to optical isolation, the pin high and low times need to be on a minimum of twice whatever the slew rate is. so if it is 15us, your max signal speed would be 30us.

edit_ just looked at the specs:

step and pulse are 1us to 2us. best firmware would likely be sprinter, as it includes delays in the firmware options. it is theoretically possible to exceed I/O spec of steps per second with marlin firmware, but not likely because of process overhead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 06:27AM by jamesdanielv.
August 25, 2013 04:58AM
as stated above, mach3 and linuxcnc are good, turbocnc worked in dos and is still available I think, hardware is
getting rare but still out there with pport, I just got this very lappy with pport I am now typing on, which is intended to be
a mc controller at some point.
Your system will probably evolve over time.

Random Precision
August 25, 2013 05:32AM
The best tutorial I found on youtube is this one:
[www.youtube.com]
what I like the most hire is the software setup. Seams easy..
I hope to find a way to push my Gecko drive and the heavy motors somewhere in between..

Thank you all for your help and kindness!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login