Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frostruder

Posted by carpenma 
Frostruder
June 06, 2009 08:51PM
Hi, I'm very near finishing my Reprap and am going to use the frostruder as my support extruder. I know all the kinks haven't been worked out yet but that's beside the point. I was wondering if it would be hazerdous to your health to consume the frosting that has been printed? It's going through another extruder so the only problem would be its contact with the deposited ABS. Opinions please? Thanks

-Matt
VDX
Re: Frostruder
June 07, 2009 03:47AM
Hi Matt,

cold ABS isn't toxic ... most plastics aren't ...

When you wan't even safer handling, use best stainless steel or POM for food-safe ambient. Next are other plastics without additives, then Aluminium - don't use Copper, Brass or such ...
October 26, 2010 11:26PM
Hi carpenma,

Did you ever get the frostruder working on your reprap? I am just finishing a reprap mendel now and am interested in soon upgrading it to also have frostrusion capabilities but it looks like reprap frostrusion isn't as far along as makerbot or fab@home... I saw the RJ frostruder design but that still seems quite preliminary.

I understand the draw of wanting to have everything reprappable, but at least for my first extruder I don't care if it's made up entirely of vitamins. Therefore do you recommend makerbot's frostruder or fab@home's frostruder as a starting point for me to get a frostruder working on my mendel?

Thanks,
November 01, 2010 08:05PM
theres a printable frostruder: the pfiercestruder, I think its called, up on thingiverse.
November 13, 2010 01:28AM
Thanks hintss,

How do you adapt a Makerbot Frostruder to fit a reprap? Is there some standard way?
November 13, 2010 07:50PM
the frostruders, IIRC, connect the same way all the makerbot extruders do: the 2 things sticking out to the sides, connecting to the Z stage. you could probably get the hole positions from the lasercut files for a makerbot.

and, if you check on thingiverse, i don't have a printer tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login