Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you convert OBJ to a *single* mesh stl?

Posted by Simba 
How do you convert OBJ to a *single* mesh stl?
September 01, 2013 12:19AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to print an OBJ file (which has multiple facets - because it was designed as a posable character) but I can't because of too many independent meshes.

Is there a software that can just produce a single mesh? I haven't had luck with meshlab ever (always gives the same types of non-manifold errors and such).
Re: How do you convert OBJ to a *single* mesh stl?
September 01, 2013 03:53AM
Hello Simba!

OBJ is one of that one way tickets - like STL

Normally OBJ can be created fro triangles as rectangular facettes - some creators ( Rhino e.g. create a seam line where the object is closed in NURBS design some dont ( Z brush , Mudbox. Sculptris) - but OBJ is allways discrete elements / multiple facettes object as STL is!
If you can convert rectangular style obj to triangular obj style and then convert this to stl using the same rules / pararmeters you should get a surface with the best possible solution deviated from the previous file...
September 01, 2013 10:25AM
I don't think that's Simba's problem, Optimist.

The OBJ file is a posable character, which means it's composed of a group of separate and independant meshes (basically one for each member) and he wants to fuse them all and get a single manifold mesh.

I know there's a way to do that in Rhino, but I don't know how in other software.
September 01, 2013 10:48AM
NormandC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think that's Simba's problem, Optimist.
>
> The OBJ file is a posable character, which means
> it's composed of a group of separate and
> independant meshes (basically one for each member)
> and he wants to fuse them all and get a single
> manifold mesh.
>
> I know there's a way to do that in Rhino, but I
> don't know how in other software.

Yes please
Is rhino freeware
September 01, 2013 10:58AM
No, Rhino 3D costs $1000. But you can download a free demo that can save 25 times until it locks up.

I'm sure there's a way in free software, I'm just not familiar with mesh modelers.
September 01, 2013 11:14AM
SImba - perhaps you could give Caligary Truespace a trial! Since Microsoft took Caligary it is not further developed but the last release is free as I know... - I think TS can handle OBJ and so perhaps you are lucky in this case
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login