Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheap Tools?

Posted by kfootball15 
Cheap Tools?
September 06, 2013 04:01PM
Does the community have a good source for tools? I need nearly everything that is required for the build, which adds up to around $265. Any advice?
Re: Cheap Tools?
September 06, 2013 04:06PM
What tools don't you have, and where are you located?
September 06, 2013 04:09PM
I actually am a student at the University of Connecticut, so I am in Willington CT (just outside Storrs).

The most expensive things I need are:
Drill and drill bits
Digital Caliber
Crimp Tool
Kapton Tape
Soldering Iron

The rest I can manage on my own, but those things add up fast and make up well over $150 and I could use a cheaper method of obtaining them.

Thanks for your response!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 04:10PM by kfootball15.
MPN
September 06, 2013 04:54PM
Harbor Freight The home of cheap chinese tools and many supplies.
Oh, and never pay full price, there's always 20% off coupons out there. 25% off Coupon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 04:57PM by MPN.
September 06, 2013 04:55PM
Harbor Freight in Vernon, CT?
Not the best tools, but when you need cheap they've got most of the hardware tools you'll need.

Their drill bit selection varies. They usually have few metric drill bit options.
They won't have Kapton tape.

Cheap crimp tool: [www.inventables.com]

If you ever plan on doing any other soldering, spend as much as you can swing on a decent soldering iron (not from Harbor Freight.)

Other stuff to consider
cheap wire brushes for cleaning off the nozzle.
A dial indicator is a good investment to help in leveling your bed and hot end axes.
A ruler and t-square
Needle files, large file
Pliers, side cutters, tweezers
September 06, 2013 05:27PM
Oh wow Harbor Freight has some very cheap stuff! Thats a great resource. Than you guys so much for your help!
September 06, 2013 07:52PM
Farnell offers student discounts (at least in Europe), so if you need electronics specific tools or micro screwdrivers etc, they might be a source.
September 06, 2013 08:16PM
Harbor freight is good if you just need a tool for a few quick projects or of you just don't care about the quality. If however you want to start a collection of good tools you can use all the time I would suggest either Lowes or Home Depot or even Sears. You will spend a lot more but if you buy a drill you will likely use it for many years from these places.
September 06, 2013 08:45PM
Most of the Craftsman as well as the Kobalt and Rigid tools have gone offshore. Many from the same plants as Harbor Freight. Over the last year or so the quality at HF has gone up a bit but so has the price. There are many things that are just fine from HF. The small files from HF are good and the digital calipers. I'm using Mitutoyo measuring tools but I do other work that requires greater precision but I have some of the HF calipers and they are fine for printer work.

For soldering I wouldn't go to any big box store or HF. Sparkfun and Adafruit are good sources and have quite a few tools suitable for building a printer. Here is a low end fixed soldering iron that gets good reviews. [www.sparkfun.com] I'm partial to Metcal but for hobbyists it's overkill. A good adjustable Hakko [www.sparkfun.com] or perhaps a Weller would do nicely. You'll want some good solder, sponges/tip cleaner and some solder wick. You'll also do well with a vise or helping hands type holder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login