Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

architectural models

Posted by Wynand 
architectural models
June 22, 2009 02:46PM
I have read through a lot of documentaion on the reprap and want to know if it can produce good quality architectural models?

Also what are the difference between the makerbot reprap and the bits and bytes reprap?
Re: architectural models
June 22, 2009 04:35PM
I would say no as you generally have a desire for multiple colors and features that would require support structures which is not something reprap does easily yet.

In this case a 3D powder bed machine would more and likely be more appropiate.

Also models tend to be larger then the typical part build on a reprap and in a 3D powder machine the build time is basically related to the height of the object rather then it's volume.

While you can do models with reprap it's thrust is more orientated to direct manufacturing in that you produce parts that can be used in the real world for some purpose.

The makerbot cupcake is a smaller machine that has a more limited build volume then a bits and bytes unit.
June 23, 2009 03:14AM
I use a Bits from Bytes machine once in a while for furniture models. But the main use is experimental. As Freds explained, overhangs are a real problem without support material, and there is no solution for that in the near future. Another problem is warping for parts that have a large base. I can imagine tat that will be the biggest problem for arch models.
June 23, 2009 03:46AM
I think it's still a feasible solution if you are on a budget and prepared to do some component assembly to make the finished building.

So long as you can group the parts separately prior to printing, then you should be able to deal with overhangs.

I would also look at it as promoting modular assembly of the final product, for if your design principals work well on the model, then they should work well in practice. Things like concrete prefab structures should be easy to produce with contours and sparse fill, and you can then silicon mould, polyurethane/ plaster etc cast from that if you have a lot of repetition.

The powder printers used have more capabilities, but I'm thinking that the extrusion printers should promote better design practices.

Graham.

My CNC/extruder creation: [grael-minifactory.blogspot.com]
VDX
June 23, 2009 04:20AM
... i'm trying to realize LOM-fabbing with my CNC and a 1Watt diode-laser - here i laminate 0.1mm thick (good absorbing) foils or 0.5mm thick sheets of dark foam-plastics and cut the contour outlines and some lines for dismantling.

I don't need support as i have it already 'embedded' and the absolute accuracy is the accuracy of the cartesian bot in X,Y (0.0125mm with my actual CNC) and the thickness/height of the sheet in Z.

With a dremel toolhead and a 0.3mm mill you can make the same with thin foam-sheets, cartonage or other materials you can mill ...

Viktor
June 23, 2009 05:30AM
I would have thought that the kind of model you are trying to produce would lend itself to a milling style rather than an extrusion process. If you make "walls" as thin objects and then assemble them, you are going to get issues with warping and having to create many seperate objects in order to create your building.

Overhangs are still an issue with milling, and you may have to create objects as several slices to get round this.

You can probably tell that I am talking purely on supposition as my reprap (CopperRap) isnt complete yet although its very close to the milling stage. I cant wait to be able to put theory into practice!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login