Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So I want to upgrade my hot end but I have questions

Posted by NjEmt527 
So I want to upgrade my hot end but I have questions
September 12, 2013 06:22AM
I'm getting ready to re wire my Prusa I2. The are some ghosts in the wiring job the previous owner did and Im tired of them. I figured while I was at it, I would upgrade from the original Bushchdanozzle (I know, its spelled wrong. I can never remember the correct spelling for some reason) he installed to an all metal hot end since the majority of my printing thus far is Nylon 618 and Im pushing the little guy to its max. I've also just started using PLA but I seem to end up with heat creep no matter what I do. I would also like to switch to a Bowden setup from my current Wades on the X carriage. I am currently looking at the E3D and the Magma (Makerfarm) for 3mm, and am leaning towards the Magma .It would be easier and cheaper to source extra nozzle and parts since I can order it from the USA where I am based. I want to be able to use a .35 mm tip also. My concerns/questions:

1. I have read some issues about printing PLA with the Magma. Something about an imperfection inside of the hotend. Has this been address and fixed?

2. I know the E3D can be set up easily for a Bowden. Has anyone done this with either the E3D or the Magma? How are the results

3. Is there another all metal hot end you prefer? And if so, Why?

Thanks for any and all repiles!
-Clark
Re: So I want to upgrade my hot end but I have questions
September 12, 2013 12:45PM
I have a SeeMeCNC EZstruder extruder and a E3D hotend on my Ordbot Hadron.
It is NOT a bowden set up. I see no problem with heat creep up to extruder and
the hotend cooling fan may not be necessary. I am running PLA for the moment but
will run ABS, Nylon, poly soon

[shop.seemecnc.com]
September 12, 2013 04:18PM
I have NOT used bowden extruder and do NOT have an all metal hotend.

I've used a Budaschnozzle 1.2 clone, and it was horrendous. Would jam PLA every few minutes, definite do not recommend.

Took my chances went with a genuine Budaschnozzle 2.0, great hot end. 0.35mm nozzle, has the option to go smaller if you buy nozzle separately, and is USA based. I print PLA and ABS and have no problems with either one.
September 13, 2013 10:56AM
I'd stay away from bowden for now because it requires a lot more time to setup correctly.

if you want to source product parts for extruders here in usa go to makergear or some people have had good results also going to printrbot

NOZZLES ARE HERE:
[printrbot.com]

[www.makergear.com]

of course you could just ask around here. someone can probably make about anything you need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 10:57AM by jamesdanielv.
September 14, 2013 02:00AM
Thanks guys. Wish I would have read this before I decided to get a few too many beers in me and my credit card out. The e3d Bowden is on its way and I'm printing parts now for the bowden set up. But I'm still excited to say the least. Ill have to post pics when Im (and if lol) up and running.
September 14, 2013 02:23PM
NjEmt527
since the majority of my printing thus far is Nylon 618 and Im pushing the little guy to its max

I'm surprised your Budaschnozzle has survived this far, it cannot go over 240ºC without damage and nylon 618 requires the hotend to be at 238º... But I admit I still am very much a newbie and have only printed ABS with mine so far.

In any case, we'll wait to know how your E3D with Bowden setup turns out. smiling smiley
September 17, 2013 12:26AM
I run my buda at like 260c, no issue, i have a fan blowing over the heatsink, i also have a clone, been printing with PLA at 200c, for a long time, hardly ever jams
Seems to get jams when i try to extrude at 190 at startup, but once i get flow, it can stay hot for hours with out any jamming issues
I also have a bowden setup, all work well

But id like to crank it up to 300 c so ill be getting an all metal hotend soon

NormandC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
NjEmt527
> since the majority of my printing
> thus far is Nylon 618 and Im pushing the little
> guy to its max

>
>
> I'm surprised your Budaschnozzle has survived this
> far, it cannot go over 240ºC without damage and
> nylon 618 requires the hotend to be at 238º...
> But I admit I still am very much a newbie and have
> only printed ABS with mine so far.
>
> In any case, we'll wait to know how your E3D with
> Bowden setup turns out. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login