Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why cupcake and not Darwin?

Posted by kitep 
Why cupcake and not Darwin?
June 25, 2009 10:36PM
Just wondering why Makerbot went with the Cupcake instead of Darwin 1.1 or whatever the latest "official" version is. Anybody know?

(Note: this is just curiousity - I'm not upset that they did what they did)
Re: Why cupcake and not Darwin?
June 25, 2009 11:22PM
because it is much easier to produce in a mass production scale. Much easier to build, and because Bre and Zack wanted too.
June 26, 2009 08:07PM
Establishing a "Name brand" requires something you can copyright. Whether Makerbot are trying to do that, is not for me to say... but it would be logical.
June 27, 2009 02:37AM
SCphotog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> because it is much easier to produce in a mass
> production scale. Much easier to build

That makes sense. Thanks.
June 27, 2009 01:09PM
Another guess would be that they can make maximum use of their laser cutter which is an amazing machine as I have seen one in use at a local high school.

Production is mostly a matter of inserting a sheet of material and letting this highly precision machine do it's thing.
June 27, 2009 03:08PM
Cupcake as a 3D printer design shouldn't be surprising. If you design a 3D printer to replicate itself insofar as possible you get one design. If you design one to be easily made on low cost fabrication equipment like laser cutters with an intent to sell it, you get something quite different.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login