Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor issues?

Posted by Jo1212 
Motor issues?
September 26, 2013 07:03AM
I know this has been asked a lot of times before but I couldn't find an exact answer, so, here I go:

I have fully assembled a Prusa Mendel i2 with RAMPS 1.4 and all of the electronics are working, the X-Axis works fine, the Y-Axis jams about twice on its path, but I think it's because the smooth rods aren't perfectly straight so that's fixable, but my main problem is that the Z-Axis just won't move. It just wiggles a bit not moving up and down the z-screw/rod.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 07:04AM by Jo1212.
Re: Motor issues?
September 26, 2013 11:20AM
Perhaps I had a similar problem. My Z axis movement problem was similar to yours but was also accompanied by loud noise from the motors.

In the Marlin firmware I needed to change the Z feedrate to 3
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 3, 25} // (mm/sec)
September 26, 2013 05:22PM
I'll try that now and let you know how it goes.

P.S. I'm on Marlin. Maybe I should try Sprinter?
September 26, 2013 10:28PM
No luck. Any other ideas?
September 27, 2013 12:02AM
Possibly adjust driver current.

Rotate the micro potentiometer until it moves.

If all it does is shake and rattle more, and never moves, then 1 winding of the motor may be bad. Unhook the motor and check continuity with a volt meter. If continuity passes and each winding is ok, then check resistance of windings.

if windings within 10% of each other, then it possibly could be the driver is damaged, or wiring is backwards.
Just rotate 1 set of motor wires such as A and -A. only after ensuring the motor and its windings are ok, should you move z axis motor onto another driver. If another driver works, then replace the driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 01:59AM by jamesdanielv.
September 27, 2013 02:04AM
BTW, I've got the G3D Stepper Drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login