Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

connecting fan to gen7 electronics

Posted by dave584 
connecting fan to gen7 electronics
October 07, 2013 07:14AM
I am a little stuck with connecting a fan to electronics board. I have sevenswitch module which can be used to control heaters and fans ect.
I need to find the expension board pins. Perhaps the answer I need lies in the pinout but I don't know how to get information from it.

[reprap.org]
Re: connecting fan to gen7 electronics
October 07, 2013 09:34AM
Above and below the ATmega you should see two rows with 14 holes each in your board. This is the extension board header and left empty by default. In the layout [reprap.org] you can see the ATmega as well as these 28 holes of the extension board header. Choose an appropriate pin for the SevenSwitch signal in the pinout you linked and look at the layout to which hole this pin is connected. One of PD4, PD5 or PD6 is a good choice, which correspond to the 4th, 3rd, 2nd pin in the lower row, counted from the right. Layout as well as pinout are seen from the top of the board.

If you use Gen7's power supply for the SevenSwitch, too, you can ignore the GND pin. Else connect this, too, it's the 9th from right in the lower row (blue track).

This is the wiring part. That done, there's also a definition of the choosen pin in the firmware required. How to do this depends on the firmware.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 07, 2013 05:17PM
Thank you Traumflug,

I am using repetier firmware. I will pick PD6 pin.
Is this the line in the firmware I must change? Also what should it be changed to?
#define FAN_PIN
October 08, 2013 08:00AM
No experience with Repetier, sorry.

October 10, 2013 05:40PM
When changing pins.h would the physical pin PD6 equate to putting in pin 6 in the firmware? How else would it work?
October 10, 2013 07:46PM
There are three numbering schemes:

The one of avr-libc, the underlying software library, which matches the chip architecture: PA0, PA1, ... PD0, PD1, ...

The one used in the Arduino IDE, which matches the accessible pins on Arduino boards: D0, D1, D2, ... A0, A1, ...

The one used with Teacup, which uses an abstraction layer to move runtime code into compile-time code makes code faster: AIO0, AIO2, ... DIO0, DIO1, ... (the digits match the Arduino numbering)

Repetier uses the Arduino IDE, so it's likely "pin 6" means D6 of the Arduino numbering scheme, which matches PB6, not PD6. PD6, in turn, matches Arduino pin D14. All this info is in the pinout linked above already: [reprap.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login