Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shipping costs for a 3d printer

Posted by mikefiatx19 
Shipping costs for a 3d printer
October 12, 2013 02:44AM
Hi Guys,
I am trying to find the best service to ship a 3D printer from Canada to the Netherlands, i have been quoted about $144 US (104 Euro, 150 CAD) to ship the package and i think that's a bit steep. I had a moronic quote of over $1000 dollars from UPS so i was wondering which service was preferred by the reprap community. I would like to receive the package within 1 month of shipping so super fast delivery is not required.
The package will be 30lb and 24x24x6 inches.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mike
Re: Shipping costs for a 3d printer
October 12, 2013 03:49AM
mikefiatx19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Guys,
> I am trying to find the best service to ship a 3D
> printer from Canada to the Netherlands, i have
> been quoted about $144 US (104 Euro, 150 CAD) to
> ship the package and i think that's a bit steep.
> I had a moronic quote of over $1000 dollars from
> UPS so i was wondering which service was preferred
> by the reprap community. I would like to receive
> the package within 1 month of shipping so super
> fast delivery is not required.
> The package will be 30lb and 24x24x6 inches.
> Any help would be great.
> Thanks
> Mike

believe it or not those prices are inline with some of the prices i've had before today, $144 is pretty good when you consider the distance it has to go and what is being shipped,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 12, 2013 04:37PM
Last time I shipped one internationally, from the US to Korea, it cost me about $125. That's pretty normal for international shipping of a large package. That was using the post office too, UPS wanted $650.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
October 12, 2013 04:48PM
The reason UPS is so much more is that it will get there in less than a week in most cases (in many just a few days) and they expidite customs and it's guaranteed to get there. What you've been quoted is the going rate for a postal service. Shipping from North America to Europe is more than shipping from Asia to North America because there is so much capacity coming from Asia to those markets. The demand to Europe isn't so great and pricing reflects that.
October 12, 2013 06:13PM
I ship products all over the world every day and those prices sound right. Postal is always going to be cheapest but it's also the most likely to be lost or be damaged. UPS, FedEx are outrageous internationally. You might try DHL, they will be less than UPS but more protected than postal. I get a lot of stuff from China to the U.S. by DHL and it's better price. If UPS was $1,000.00 I would expect DHL to be $500 - $600
October 12, 2013 08:55PM
For comparison, small packages, like a set of Gen7 electronics, is just EUR 3.45 or about US$ 5.- (postage, the opposite way).

It might be worth to consider disassembling the printer somewhat to get it into a smaller package. And to not ship weighty stuff like the power supply, because in the Netherlands they undoubtly have PSUs, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 12, 2013 09:01PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It might be worth to consider disassembling the
> printer somewhat to get it into a smaller package.

He said the box is only 6" thick so it must be a kit in pieces already.
October 13, 2013 06:53AM
Thanks guys,
Seems like i already have a good price then.
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login