Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reducing time to heat bed

Posted by gsport 
Reducing time to heat bed
October 23, 2013 06:17PM
I had been having a problem with the time it took for my heated bed to get up to temperature.

I was using 69degrees and getting there took an age especially the last 2 or 3 degrees.
I fiddled about a lot with insulating the underside and it made very little difference, but what did make a big difference was just laying three sheets of kitchen roll on top.

Once it is up to temperature I take them off just before print. Seems to be helping a lot. Hope this helps other people.

George
Re: Reducing time to heat bed
October 23, 2013 07:38PM
Kitchen roll?
flaky biscuit, Cresent roll, pizzia dough?

What kind of bed?

I have a hard PC bed 200mm x 200mm 12v that heats up very fast
on a RAMPS

Silacone pad underneath.
Sometimes I use a piece of 1/2" styrofoam on top to keep heat in
October 23, 2013 08:20PM
Did you autotune the bed?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
October 24, 2013 04:36AM
I'm surprised that getting to 60 or 70 deg would be a problem. My uninsulated bed gets to 60 in a few minutes without a problem

Have you confirmed that your thermistor is reading the correct temperature and that the bed is not heating to a much higher temperature.

I only found the same issues when printing ABS and getting to 115 deg takes quite a while, e.g. around 15 mins even with insulation.
October 24, 2013 07:31AM
The bed is a 200mm x 200mm piece of 4mm aluminium with 1.8mm glass on top. That is obviously quite a lot of thermal inertia, which is good in some ways as it keeps things stable, but makes heating (and cooling) slow.

I was surprised how much difference a bit of low tech insulation on the top during heating made, so thought I would share that's all.

George
October 24, 2013 07:41AM
Hi George,

I forgot o mentionI've used a similar insulation method, but I used a towel

I also found that shining a 100w lamp on the bed is very effective at speeding up the heating process.
October 24, 2013 09:34AM
For anyone else wondering what kitchen roll is, according to google:

paper towels
October 24, 2013 04:04PM
To be honest though i dont want to mess around with loose towels hanging around.. Maybe a system to roll it out and it rolls back up automatically? Been wanting similar for quick wire management. I suppose a elastic that rolls up as wire rolls out would work..
October 24, 2013 07:06PM
rogerclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi George,
>
> I forgot o mentionI've used a similar insulation
> method, but I used a towel
>
> I also found that shining a 100w lamp on the bed
> is very effective at speeding up the heating
> process.

I have also used a towel, but I used a couple of paper ones.
October 24, 2013 08:22PM
reduce the temp that the pid algorithm kicks in , or just use bang bang heat method, and disable bed pid heater. Bed should heat up quickly. It is better to overshoot the temp rather than have an accurate pid on the bed if heat up time is the issue. if it is taking a long time and you are using pid, adjust the integral of the pid equation. The higher this number the faster the temp will raise to get to the proper temp, however make it too high and temp will overshoot. This is ok in the case of the bed performance. It is not ok for extruder controls.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login