Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

White ABS Juice Fail?

Posted by rcullan 
White ABS Juice Fail?
November 08, 2013 06:50PM
So I print in ABS onto glass with ABS juice I have found it to be very sucsessful. I made a big batch of Black ABS juice with some failed prints and I wanted to make some White ABS juice. However it did not go into solution with the acetone, I hd no problem making a consistent mix with the black that I could adjust the viscosity of the mix by adding acetone till it was where I wanted it. With the white filament, there is a quasi-transparent jelly like mass at the bottom of my mason jar and a layer of Acetone floating above it. Is it possible to make ABS juice out of white filament?

Has anyone had a similar experience? I doubt I will be salvaging it, but any suggestions are helpful.

I should point out that the filament I used to make the juice was sitting around in the open for a few weeks so I dont know if it potentially oxidized or if that could have affected it.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Re: White ABS Juice Fail?
November 09, 2013 05:01AM
I have recently made up different coloured ABS juice's. White/black/green/yellow so far.
It all dissolved OK but when the ABS reaches saturation point in the acetone, it does leave a gel or paste like lump at the bottom. It is undissolved coloured ABS though not a transparent jelly. I wonder if the pigment has dissolved out of yours first?
I am a relative newbie but I have found a big difference in ABS quality between manufacturers. The best I have found so far is Jet ABS from America Instrument Inc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2013 10:01AM by dave3d.
Re: White ABS Juice Fail?
November 09, 2013 04:09PM
I always make mine out of natural abs (off white, no pigment). That way you can't see it on the print no matter what color you print. And mine stays liquid though I do give it a little shake just before using.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login