Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

economics, bespoke vs mass production

Posted by ceti331 
economics, bespoke vs mass production
August 31, 2009 05:48PM
has anyone got any ballpark comparisons of the economics of reprap items vs mass production...
e.g. comparing cost of reprapper+materials vs how much mass produced stuff you could buy with that.

[I understand reprap is most likely to be usefull for customization & bespoke items, or maybe repair / recycling. I am interested in reprap because I for one do not want to live in a mass produced world, and want to minimize the number of items i depend on that someone else controls smiling smiley
+ i think if *everyone* had a reprap, it would no longer interest me]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2009 05:51PM by ceti331.
Re: economics, bespoke vs mass production
September 01, 2009 04:48AM
RepRap as I see it, stands along side mass production, for one a RepRap can't print metals, nor anything requiring a smooth finish on all sides, you are also size dependent.
I'm building mine because I don't want to keep asking people for their tools for any projects I do, or in need of something, usually for my robot projects.
September 09, 2009 08:17AM
Have a look at a discussion over here. It focuses on energy requirements, but the cost aspect is of course caused in part by these energy requirements:

[groups.google.com]

For lower quantities (such as several prototypes), mass production is inherently unsuitable, of course.

> I for one do not want to live in a mass produced world

Count me in, too. We will be able to participate in creating the world. Just like software isn't necessarily produced by firms any more, or art just by professional artist. Everyone should be able to enjoy creation in several disciplines.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
VDX
September 09, 2009 08:32AM
... it's my aim too to cocreate a "technological environment" where everyone is able to produce all he need either on his own or he can find it in the local sphere - from food over clothes to sophisticated hardware.

But in this world most of the common markets and commercial structures aren't stable or needed any more, so it could be a very hard/dangerous way there ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login