Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Source PLA/ABS filament...in China

Posted by sam0737 
Source PLA/ABS filament...in China
September 06, 2009 04:08PM
I found myself in a very embarrassing situation. I couldn't find a PLA/ABS filament source yet.

I live in Shanghai at the moment, I wonder if there is any other reprappers in China.

The thing is - it's easy to get 1 meter long filament, it's selling everywhere, but over 1 meter? No...

Or you can get customize to 3mm filament directly from factory, but with minimum order of 100kg, and each Kg is at around USD 5 I guess (I didn't really start asking yet). Besides the problem of $, I think I will have major difficulty in transporting it into my room, not to mention finding a place to store it.

What's your experience in sourcing filament?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 04:17PM by sam0737.
Re: Source PLA/ABS filament...in China
September 06, 2009 08:12PM
Here in the US I just buy it from a maker of plastic welding rod in Ohio. He will sell you any amount from 2.5 kg up to anything you want. He asks about $15/kg, though.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
September 11, 2009 10:33AM
Finally, after digging through the Web, I found a supplier on Alibaba which sells what I needed - [www.alibaba.com]

Oh. To be honest, actually I should credit talcite's post: [dev.forums.reprap.org] smiling smiley

But the minimum order is 50kg, so I did. Obviously too much for me, but at 25 RMB per KG (~3.66 USD, 2.51 EURO, 2.19 GBP), that's marginally affordable.

I hope I could resell some through eBay or Taobao tongue sticking out smiley. Though I am unaware of any other reprapper in the great China region.
September 16, 2009 11:03AM
Given attempts to source motors and the fact that electronic components are currently more cost effective sourced in the greater china region we could probably do with a lot more reprappers there.....

Cheers

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
I was going to suggest taobao...

Where are you in Shanghai sam?

I'm pondering getting a 3d printer, and still undecided between reprap/makerbot/up!...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login