Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Configuration Problems Techzone Huxley

Posted by KD0SKH 
Configuration Problems Techzone Huxley
December 25, 2013 11:10PM
Hello all. I have a Techzone Huxley. Here is what I use:

Slicer utility: Slic3r (uses Perl. I have version 5.18.1)
Printer communication: Printrun (uses Python2, I have version 2.7.6)
Printer firmware: FiveD (attached - can only work using a specific version of Arduino)
Printer Hardware: TechZone Communications (monolithic)

Here are my problems: When Slic3r generates any Gcode, there is a small snippet of custom gcode that is in the default used to lift the nozzle a bit.

G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

If I send this code directly to the printer using pronsole.py, the printer does not respond in the expected way. It will make a high-pitched neighing sound, and will not change its position. If I send the command again (but with Z5 changed to Z10), nothing happens besides a brief high-pitched sound coming from the motor. I suspected a current issue, but the Z-axis really only moves if I have I set F to be much lower - such as around F100. I tried adjusting the pot to the axis motor, but it doesn't seem to allow for any really high values of F.

Throughout the gcode I generate, the F value F7800 for quickly advancing between layers is commonplace. Because the printer's Z axis doesn't respond nicely to these commands, the printer usually squishes all the layers together! In pronsole (and pronterface).
First question: is there a way to set, in Slic3r or Printrun, a max Z speed? The gcode for the file I'm trying to print is attached as extruderstep.gcode (I disabled the extruder in the gcode during testing).

I tried replacing the high F values for advancing the Z axis with the more amicable 100, and what happened was unfortunate; the Z axis would still not advance! And even weirder is that the next gcode would start at the lower speed and accelerate to the next given F speed.

Second question: So what might be going on here? What GCodes need to be in place to have the Z axis always advance with a particular speed?

Third question: Also, I could have sworn I had no acceleration set in the FiveD interpreter code; is there a way to disable it in either Slic3r or Printrun?

Another question - does anyone know of any firmware for the Techzone Huxley that doesn't require a weird, old and obscure version of the Arduino IDE to compile and upload? I have to use version 0019 (from 2010) in Windows to upload the firmware. Surely there has to be a more up-to-date version.

Thank you for your time!
Attachments:
open | download - extruderstep.gcode (11.2 KB)
open | download - FiveD_GCode_Interpreter.ino (11.9 KB)
Re: Configuration Problems Techzone Huxley
December 26, 2013 09:49AM
try this

G1 Z5 F180 ; lift nozzle

the firmware speed limits for z axis are often limited to homing/travel speeds only.

5d firmware is rather dated. speed is ramped up or down from last move until the next move, so say if you do g1 x10 f4000
and the next move as g1 x1 z5 f180, the feed rate would start out at 4000, and end up at 180 ramping down. not good considering that z axis speed is 180mm/m or less .

I would look at upgrading firmware, or taking the above knowledge into consideration.

First question: is there a way to set, in Slic3r or Printrun, a max Z speed? The gcode for the file I'm trying to print is attached as extruderstep.gcode (I disabled the extruder in the gcode during testing).
--- yes but you need to use skeinforge to enable max speed settings. I'm not sure which menu it is under.

Second question: So what might be going on here? What GCodes need to be in place to have the Z axis always advance with a particular speed?
-- 5dfirmware is dated. it only will work properly with skienforge or sfact. enable feedrate after z (it is an option somewhere in skienforge)

Third question: Also, I could have sworn I had no acceleration set in the FiveD interpreter code; is there a way to disable it in either Slic3r or Printrun?
- it only exists if firmware supports it, otherwise disable it in 5d firmware, and make sure your max speeds are reasonable. software slicer will go as fast as stated.

Another question - does anyone know of any firmware for the Techzone Huxley that doesn't require a weird, old and obscure version of the Arduino IDE to compile and upload? I have to use version 0019 (from 2010) in Windows to upload the firmware. Surely there has to be a more up-to-date version.
---teacup should work out of box i would think, you may need sangulino files.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2013 10:02AM by jamesdanielv.
Re: Configuration Problems Techzone Huxley
December 26, 2013 05:04PM
Thanks! I managed to figure things out before I returned to check on this post. For those out there looking for the same information, this is what I did to deal with the sloppy, ugly FiveD firmware.

Slic3r post-processing script:

[forums.reprap.org]

I set the max and initial Z speeds in the script to be 100 (YMMV). Now it's simply a matter of mechanical calibration - the prints are looking very, very encouraging!

I'm interested in Teacup - I heard that it would work out of the box elsewhere, but I have some concerns about newer firmware on older hardware; I have the Sanguino files (needed it for the original firmware). Sadly, I haven't quite found anything that covers some of the possible issues I might run into using a totally different firmware. And, honestly, I'm a little hesitant to change anything given how much time FiveD has taken from me. I'll keep looking for documentation, but in the meanwhile, do you have any recommendations?

Once again, thank you for your input!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login