Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

350 Dollar Prusa i3 Kit

Posted by gunnd14 
350 Dollar Prusa i3 Kit
December 29, 2013 11:18PM
Found this super cheap printer, what do you guys think about it? I haven't been able to find any reviews or real company info. Here is the link to the printer :[www.rp3d.com] and here is the company site: [www.rdmcu.com]. I just want to know what people think about it. Thank you and have a nice day.
Re: 350 Dollar Prusa i3 Kit
December 30, 2013 01:29AM
If you cant find any reviews or real company info, then its a gamble I guess.

December 30, 2013 02:09AM
Any idea of the quality from the pictures?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 02:10AM by gunnd14.
December 30, 2013 03:16AM
its all laser cut thats why its so cheap and uses basically all of the least expensive electronics and hot end.
December 30, 2013 03:52AM
My biggest concern has been the electronics. I cant find much on the Melzi board and they seem to be out-dated when compared to most boards used today in any reprap machine.
December 30, 2013 05:05AM
I use a Melzi and it works fine. I'd consider it a point on the plus side. What appears outdated about it?
December 30, 2013 05:34PM
Looks a lot like the MakerFarm I3. I would spend the couple of hundred more and get the 8" from Colin.
I would worry more about the J-Head clone - on another of their sites they talk about that be a new product.
Melzi is not bad electronics but I do prefer RAMPs.
And $90-$100 for shipping - ouch. What if it arrives broken?
December 30, 2013 07:38PM
I cant find more than two or three pages with the information on how to load the firmware and stuff. I would hate to get something that I had no idea how to operate adn there is so little information on it compared to the RAMPS version. The guy said that there was no returns either, so that just adds to the risk also.
December 30, 2013 07:43PM
gunnd14
I cant find more than two or three pages with the information on how to load the firmware and stuff. I would hate to get something that I had no idea how to operate adn there is so little information on it compared to the RAMPS version. The guy said that there was no returns either, so that just adds to the risk also.
Warning signs with anyone who doesn't accept returns. At least accept it with a 10-15% restocking fee and the buyer pays for shipping back but to simply say no returns I wouldn't touch it.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
December 31, 2013 04:46PM
due to expensive shipping cost. in US i suggest diytechshop kit. local and they are fast support and send replacement part at no cost even it was my fault.
January 01, 2014 06:28AM
gunnd14
Found this super cheap printer, what do you guys think about it? I haven't been able to find any reviews or real company info. Here is the link to the printer :[www.rp3d.com] and here is the company site: [www.rdmcu.com]. I just want to know what people think about it. Thank you and have a nice day.

Here is another one I found

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
February 19, 2015 03:42AM
I want to bring this topic to life again.
I pumped into the same kit, Did you buy it? if so how was your experience?
February 19, 2015 04:16AM
I ended up making my own and several of them. I did it because I wanted to improve the design, make it bigger and go with Bowden. It has all worked out very good, but a bit more expensive due to all the additional extras I have incorporated.
I have designed it for the local Mens Shed, and the build can be see on my website.

[regpye.com.au]
February 19, 2015 05:25PM
I just awnsered a similar topic :
Zavashier
To me it's more important to se what's inside the kit, than where you buy it. I bought a kit lookalike this one. And there were a lot of things I dislike in it. First, the acrylic frame. It's lightweight, fragile, and not stiff enough. You'd rather find a aluminium or wood frame kit, even if it's a bit more expensive, it's worth the money. Seccond, try to get a kit with a geared extruder. My kit had a too small motor which had trouble to push filament easily. With a geared extruder, no problem, whatever motor you've got. Third, the parts, find a kit with all the contemporary improvements of the Prusa I3. Especialy reinforced Y bearings bushings and Y motor support, redesign endstop supports (on the kit you found, endstops can turn with the rods, that's not accurate enough), belt tensioning system on XY axis, and so on. Last but not least, buy a kit with a branded hotend (or a good copy of a branded hotend) like Jhead, Exagon, E3D... That's one of the most important parts of a printer. You can't print well with a too cheap hotend, and you'll buy one someday anyways.

Remember there's a lot of prusa I3 kits, and they are pretty different and most are bad kits. Some will make your build and your prints easy as that, ohterwise some will be real nightmares ! Don't buy a price, buy a real maker's kit. If it's $50 or $100 more expensive, save money for more few weeks, but don't buy too cheap winking smiley
All is transposable here, except for the frame and the hotend (maybe, because there's known problems with some Jhead clones)

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 19, 2015 05:29PM
Zavashier
Zavashier
To me it's more important to se what's inside the kit, than where you buy it. I bought a kit lookalike this one. And there were a lot of things I dislike in it. First, the acrylic frame. It's lightweight, fragile, and not stiff enough. You'd rather find a aluminium or wood frame kit, even if it's a bit more expensive, it's worth the money. Seccond, try to get a kit with a geared extruder. My kit had a too small motor which had trouble to push filament easily. With a geared extruder, no problem, whatever motor you've got. Third, the parts, find a kit with all the contemporary improvements of the Prusa I3. Especialy reinforced Y bearings bushings and Y motor support, redesign endstop supports (on the kit you found, endstops can turn with the rods, that's not accurate enough), belt tensioning system on XY axis, and so on. Last but not least, buy a kit with a branded hotend (or a good copy of a branded hotend) like Jhead, Exagon, E3D... That's one of the most important parts of a printer. You can't print well with a too cheap hotend, and you'll buy one someday anyways.

Remember there's a lot of prusa I3 kits, and they are pretty different and most are bad kits. Some will make your build and your prints easy as that, ohterwise some will be real nightmares ! Don't buy a price, buy a real maker's kit. If it's $50 or $100 more expensive, save money for more few weeks, but don't buy too cheap winking smiley
All is transposable here, except for the frame and the hotend (maybe, because there's known problems with some Jhead clones)

I would have to agree on this point. I couldn't find what I really wanted, so I re-designed everything to be better for me. It cost more, but I am very happy with the results, it was worth it.

[regpye.com.au]
February 19, 2015 10:50PM
regpye
Zavashier
Zavashier

I would have to agree on this point. I couldn't find what I really wanted, so I re-designed everything to be better for me. It cost more, but I am very happy with the results, it was worth it.
Nothing pleasures me more than conquering issues (boy have I had a lot of them this last year) while learning. A printer handed to you on a silver plater (a kit) is never the same as the one you build yourself. Just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 10:51PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
February 19, 2015 11:30PM
Dark Alchemist
regpye
Zavashier
Zavashier

Nothing pleasures me more than conquering issues (boy have I had a lot of them this last year) while learning. A printer handed to you on a silver plater (a kit) is never the same as the one you build yourself. Just my opinion.

Truer words were never said.I know so many purchasers of ready built machines that have them sitting in a shed somewhere because they don't know how to get them going again, what a waste.
All the guys I know that have built their own are all running them and making newer and even better machines.

[regpye.com.au]
February 22, 2015 01:09PM
I purchased a $428 Prusa i3 type (Aurora Z605) via China (Xinray on Aliexpress, do watch out for import taxes). Although it only has 8mm acrylic frame, it has things like Z axis motors with integrated lead screws, injection moulded parts and it seems pretty robust to me (though I am a novice). The electronics are not Melzi but are based on Arduino/RAMPS. The extruder is I think a MK8 but does only rely on the stepper motor with a gear pushing directly on the filament.
Simple to put together, have printed in PLA & ABS and so far v happy. I would have preferred Aluminium frame but really wanted low cost reasonable machine to play around with and learn more.
February 22, 2015 01:29PM
Folowing a BOM, you could build an aluminium frame prusa i3 for less than $400. Through, your 8mm frame is better than my 5.65mm one (sold for a 6mm...).

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 22, 2015 07:13PM
I have an A600 from Aworldnet, it's a prusa i3 kit. Great kit, worked great after assembly. Goes for about 320 on ebay.
February 23, 2015 06:25AM
Well, the A600 Aworldnet looks like any cheap acrylic prusa kit. Thin acrylic frame, no up to date parts, suspicious extruder... How recommend it ?

February 24, 2015 12:25AM
gunnd14

Don't buy it its the rip off version of the I3 and not a real one. Do yourself a favor and go on Ebay and get a CTC makerbot clone much more fun and easier to work with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login