Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All motors are notching

Posted by Mincraftman 
All motors are notching
December 30, 2013 12:00PM
Hi!
Can someone help me?
I have assembled my new reprap prusa i3 and everything seems to work well, except from the motors. On first connection of the board,
the motors run smooth the first 3 seconds. After that motors start to notch with a high noise.

When we jog it 100mm, the length can be between 50 and 80 mm if the motor is notching and exactly 100mm the first seconds when it move smooth.

Have someone seen this issue before and have an answer?

See attached video:
my reprap
Re: All motors are notching
December 30, 2013 03:30PM
I found out that my step drivers were extremely hot in just a second after I start using the motors.

Have any of you experienced the same?
December 30, 2013 03:37PM
Your drivers are overheating, they go into thermal shutdown briefly, which causes the knocking sound.

You'll need to turn down the current limit, and/or apply some cooling like a fan blowing across the board.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
December 30, 2013 04:58PM
Thank you very much. The Vref on the pololu stepper driver was 0.83V; - current about 2.2 Amp. Reduced the Vref to around 0.4V and problem solved!

If someone read this post, you will find more information about this issue here:
Calibration
Pololu_stepper_driver_board

As far as I can see, the current for the motors cannot be set in firmware.
December 30, 2013 08:49PM
Some boards use digipots and you can set it in firmware. But not anything that uses a Pololu stepper board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login