Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blown Power Supply

Posted by aknapp 
Blown Power Supply
January 04, 2014 10:28PM
It appears I have blown my power supply. It is a SUPERNIGHT 12V 20A regulated switching power supply from amazon: [www.amazon.com]

This is what happened. My LCD was behaving oddly (random jumbled display) so I unplugged the psu and plugged it back in without waiting more than a second or so, heard a small pop, smelled a little bit of burnt electrical smell and that was that. Any idea why this happened, what I did wrong, or if there is anything else I should know about these power supply units???

I tested to see if there was 12V after this happened. Nothing. I will order a new one but I am not very electrically "savy" and I prefer to prevent something like this from happening in the future. I need all the tips/guidance/criticism I can get!

Thanks,

aknapp
Re: Blown Power Supply
January 05, 2014 03:01AM
I had a similar thing happen on my 30amp supply, the thermal fuse blew i believe, what i found after taking it apart was that i had inadvertently loosened the screw that held the mosfet onto their heatsink when i was fiddling around with it, and when i had previously screwed it back together the clamp did not engage the mosfet and so they overheated and blew the thermal fuse eventually. so basically what I did was removed the blown fuse, it should be a crumbly ceramic thing, and replaced it with a normal 30amp fuse, then i re-seated the heatsink clamp on the mosfets, and its been fine since although when I get close to using 30 amps it makes a clicking noise, but i suspect that is from the high current output.
January 05, 2014 01:28PM
It looks like it is the fuse (at least from looking without opening it up). Like I said, I'm not very educated on circuits. I understand what a capacitor, resistor, etc looks like but I'm not sure I feel comfortable opening this thing up and soldering inside there since the fuse is actually soldered to the board. I guess I will be ordering another one...

Thanks for the reply!
January 05, 2014 01:50PM
I would order the 30 amp one if you think it was because of the fuse. whats your setup? heated bed?
January 05, 2014 05:57PM
I have the 8" prusa i3 kit from makerfarm so that power supply should be more than capable I think. It has a heated bed yes.

I had a friend replace the fuse. I then tried to plug it in, it made a popping noise and nothing happened. Unplugged it, checked the fuse again and it was not blown. Something else must be wrong.

From other posts that I have read through it seems like I wouldn't NEED the 30a psu. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again
January 06, 2014 01:31AM
ok well it must not have been the issue that i had, I would just replace it to be safe with the 30 amp supply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login