Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Garcads WATER-COOLED hotend produces high quality ABS prints!

Posted by papabur 
Re: Garcads WATER-COOLED hotend produces high quality ABS prints!
January 19, 2014 12:40PM
cope413
Seriously guys, let it rest. If he wants to think he has the best hotend on the market, let him.

What's the point of being snarky and arguing?

That is a very good question. Welcome to the psychology of human interaction smiling smiley

We assume that a child is honest and without ulterior motive, so we give praise and encouragement.

Unfortunately, experience tells us that we can not assume an adult does not have ulterior motive. They may be a friend we trust, but may also be a salesman, con man or prankster, trying to persuade us to part with money or fool us.

The actions of scammers make us distrust some people we should not, but the alternative is to fall victim to con men. Obviously, con men emulate the actions of the honest, so we cannot on the face of it distinguish between the two.

If indeed, this is a product that is going to be "on the market", then people can and should comment on it's merits. If it is a keen amateur, then perhaps we should give encouragement to do better. Without background and context, people are wary.

The interesting thing about the internet is that removing barriers to communication does not change our basic psychological traits, but providing "pure" communication reveals them more clearly, and can appear to amplify them.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
January 19, 2014 05:25PM
cope413
Seriously guys, let it rest. If he wants to think he has the best hotend on the market, let him.

What's the point of being snarky and arguing?

Steve, you've got great prints, and you know what you're doing, so why waste your time on this?

To anyone else who may not know better, spend 10 minutes looking at prints and other hot ends and you'll quickly realized that there is nothing special to see here.

Papabur, keep chugging. Iterate, iterate, iterate. Good job on what you've managed to do. Keep striving to improve.

its more about the behavior of the poster, its pretty obvious that this thread is a place holder for a future marketing attempt, we've seen enough of these across multiple forums,
typically if a poster is simply after a bit of peer review on something they've done they typically don't make such bold claims, so far all we have seen is a few prints and youtube videos, not one photo or drawing of the hotend itself no blog post or wiki pages for it.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

January 20, 2014 11:09AM
Beyond the possibility this may be an attempt at future marketing, even if we accept is the OP isn't trying anything, this is intended to be a community forum where people share their experiences and ask for help, not simply somewhere for people to boast. So if someone is claiming to have achieve something wondorous, people naturally want to know more. There isn't really any need for snarky to do this, but it's understandable people are frustrated when repeated claims are made which don't seem to stack up with evidence of experience.

Further, even from the OP's POV, if they're actually trying to do something for no good reason, e.g. because the reasons they're trying to do something are mistaken (e.g. if the problems they think come from their hotend are actually from poor calibration or something else) or because experience says what they're trying to do either doesn't work or has already been done in other ways, it's helpful for the OP to learn this now what than spend all their time on something which may have no purpose. If the OP doesn't want to learn, well that's there choice, but there's nothing wrong with people trying to help them. And the OP did say they welcome feedback/questions in their first post. It's perhaps better to avoid being too snarky since that may put the OP off listening. But again if the OP doesn't seem to be listening and keeps repeating stuff which doesn't stack up, people may be frustrated.

It obviously didn't help that the OP's initial post appeared to denigrate other hotends even if they later clarified what they meant.
January 22, 2014 08:00PM
Better than any hotend on the market huh? My eyes just rolled so hard it knocked me out of my chair.

I don't know what your goal is, but it doesn't really matter. The first question you should be asking yourself is whether you're creating a solution to a problem that actually exists. You are not.
You're all a bunch of player haters.

Also, cars are neither air nor water cooled. They are both. It's a system. The engine is water cooled by conduction, the water is air cooled by convection. Duh...
January 22, 2014 09:49PM
doesn't the 'player' first of all actually need to have 'game' for us to be haters?

no, you do not get a trophy just for showing up.........
I expect no participation trophy, however I have contributed an open source hot end design, and am therefore entitled to my opinion, Steven.

My opinion; as long as it spits out goo, who cares? And what's best anyway. It's a subjective argument, therefore when he says it's the best, he's right, and even if he's wrong theres no winning the argument because there is no right or wrong answer. It depends on which rubric you measure it by, and that can be as simple as one man's opinion. He's correct because he thinks he's correct and you are wrong because you think you're correct, or vice versa. That's debating 101. Face.
January 22, 2014 10:50PM
I would have given you some props right up til your ego thought I was talking about a trophy for you...........

So not awsome sause. So you would buy a car with square wheels if the dude says it's awsome?

And by the by, I am personally a consultant for a filament manufacturer.... yippee sh** right? and have also helped plenty of people.

Not to mention that my personal modifications to a Wildeyed hot end design enables me to blow away everyone in my 3d printing group.

You can't tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you ordered parts off of eBay and they were printed at that quality.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 11:06PM by Dirty Steve.
Steven
So you would buy a car with square wheels if the dude says it's awsome?

No, that would be stupid.

Steven
And by the by, I am personally a consultant for a filament manufacturer.... yippee sh** right?

More like yuppie.
January 23, 2014 12:01AM
I would think a CNC machinist could drill stainless first try, but that's only what it says on a piece of paper.......sit down son, just sit down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 12:06AM by Dirty Steve.
January 23, 2014 12:15AM
ohioplastics
You're all a bunch of player haters.

Also, cars are neither air nor water cooled. They are both. It's a system. The engine is water cooled by conduction, the water is air cooled by convection. Duh...

To be more specific, it's not the player I'm hating. It's his game. If he came in saying "Hey look, I made a water cooled hot end, maybe try it out and here's the design," I would have zero problem with that, and good for him. I'd still have no interest, but hey, to each their own. But to come in making bold claims that are completely out of touch with reality, well...you better come ready to defend yourself is all I'm saying.

It's like if your kid comes home and proclaims his latest concoction of macaroni and glue makes the sistine chapel look like it was painted by a band of drunken chimpanzees. Hell, maybe you even want to agree with him, and think it is pretty great for a 6 year old. But, fact is...your kid's still an asshole.
January 23, 2014 01:49PM
It's confirmed on another web forum, the "Garcad water cooled hotend" is officially a "New Product" and will be on sale soon.

So, as we suspected from the start eye rolling smiley

If the player cheats, then yeah, I hate the player. Unless the game is about deception, then I hate the game and the player.

What is Open Source?
January 23, 2014 02:47PM
How about everyone form the peanut gallery heads to the off topic area. One of the reasons this forum is dying is because of the way some people treat people who share on here. There is no need for the acrimony.

Could we get some more details about this new hotend? Cost, nozzles, design specs, etc. From the videos I have seen it looks like it bridges really well.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
January 23, 2014 03:20PM
How about all the people selling stuff head off to the "For Sale" area smiling smiley

There are no details or "sharing" on this hotend, because they are not interested in collaboration, only sales pitch. That is what is killing the forum...

What is Open Source?
January 23, 2014 03:24PM
bobc
How about all the people selling stuff head off to the "For Sale" area smiling smiley

There are no details or "sharing" on this hotend, because they are not interested in collaboration, only sales pitch. That is what is killing the forum...

Agreed. If people would scroll past the first couple of forum sections and find the correct section to post in it would go a long way.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 23, 2014 09:38PM
I'm sorry but I disagree. The for sale area is for products that are being sold. It is not the place to list specs, performances and uses.

Many people have posted on open source product developments of their own and others in the general area. The OP was asking for input and feedback on the design.

If their had been a post selling an item there still isn't a need for treating people poorly.

Maybe I missed the sales pitch. BobC, why don't you quote it for me, in case I am wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 09:39PM by jzatopa.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
January 23, 2014 11:00PM
jzatopa
I'm sorry but I disagree. The for sale area is for products that are being sold. It is not the place to list specs, performances and uses.

The issue here is that we have not seen any specs. The only thing we've seen by way of performance is some pictures of some very average prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 11:01PM by SheldonE.
January 24, 2014 05:16AM
I'm closing this because I believe nothing good can come out of it.

If the Original Poster wants to get input or discuss his design again, he can create a new thread with more details, maybe in a technical subforum such as [forums.reprap.org]

If the OP wants to advertise about his product when it's available for buyers, he can post it in the for sale section.

Thanks.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.