Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

when quality control fails

Posted by jinx 
when quality control fails
January 11, 2014 04:42AM
HI,
Theirs a new prusa mendel kit supplier doing its round on on the web seen on DX/ebay but the plastic part leave a lot to be desired, thought we share some pictures of the parts.the unboxing
at almost $600 I expected a lot better and wondering if anyone else had a similar experience of the parts.

happy printing Jinx

the X motor mount concerns me alot as it just looks like there no infill!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 04:45AM by jinx.
Re: when quality control fails
January 11, 2014 05:16AM
Looks crappy yes, BUT, it looks still very usable. If there is infill or not I can't say, without infill they probably couldn't print it because infill acts as internal support so I doubt that.

I think you can get your printer up and running easily and print new parts for your own printer winking smiley

Yes, it's not the quality you would expect, but you are stuck with it I guess so you might as well put it together and make it work! smiling smiley

Could you let us know where you bought the kit?
January 11, 2014 05:51AM
hi,

Could you let us know where you bought the kit?
not my kit and am not sure where cevinius got it from am guessing he is sleeping at the mo. he's an Aussie, he's becoming a reprap member so am sure he can tell us later.

judging by tht pic there is infill. over all the parts appear printed on a poorly calibrated printereye popping smiley
I built three prusa mendel printed parts for five, I expect a litte sanding touch off a file but never the use of polyfila to finish a parttongue sticking out smiley

print new parts for your own printer
after spending $600 would never expect to have print out new parts so soon

think it may have come from here but am not 100% sure

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 06:23AM by jinx.
January 11, 2014 06:19AM
Hi all,

The pics are from the kit that I got! (I just unboxed it this morning, and have been getting some advice from Jinx since this is my first time building a printer.)

The part at the top of the extruder was cracked on arrival, and the base of the X ends was warped. I've seen other 3D printed parts before, and these just look a lot less robust. I don't think they would last nor make a stable machine... sad smiley

I purchased it from Aliexpress. The seller was Heacent, so I think I purchased directly from the manufacturer. I've also sent them a message to see if I happened to get a bad batch, or if all of their parts are like this??

Not a happy start!

Kevin
January 11, 2014 08:38AM
Hi All,
I was thinking the other day on starting a topic on print quality on this forum. As I am an instrument maker/engineer I set high quality standards. I never was fully satisfied on my printed items but after seeing the parts on Cervinius printer I think I am setting my standards too high. Such parts the as the above mentioned give the printing community a bad name.I wonder if there is a sort of quality norm for printed parts, maybe in different grades, f.i.high quality, adequate, so so, and bad or very bad.
I know that for functionality the finish mostly does not matter, but what is acceptable? Could we set up a sort of photo gallery, showing these sort of things and give them ratings?
anyone with an opinion?
Have a nice day.
Greetz,
Peter J.
January 11, 2014 10:47AM
hi,
I suspect a lot off the quality over function issue is down to time for these small start up firm when it come to printing the parts but those parts are of such poor quality defy believe any business would produce such parts then expect others too buy them especially for a $600.00 kit. The Prusa mendel i2 ain't known for its speed
but it does produce good prints when I print the i2 my setting are along the lines speed 18 mm/s " with a Jhead ,believe i could go faster using the e3d hotend" less for smaller parts" ,layer height .22 and infill .35 " gives a usable solid finish, but it would take me a week to print a i2 set. come to a push 4 days which produces good pieces for a hobbyist but I do take a little pride in my prints.

shameless plug off my current build even when I get the motors on still ain't gonna cost $600

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 11:03AM by jinx.
January 12, 2014 05:04AM
To provide an update, this is the reply I received from Heacent. Looks like this is what the part from their kits are like... So, now you know what to expect... Buyer beware.

Heacent
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I saw your pictures and evaluation,this is full kit of a 3D printer,it will work when you finish assembly,Printing parts might be a bit rough, but this will not affect the accuracy of the printer,print own components is the characteristic of the 3D printer,you may also want to secondary development.
Printer impression at first glance may not be very good, but you will gradually fall in love with it,this is a classic models.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Zihe Huang
Heacent inc.

Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login