Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lead content of brass

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Lead content of brass
January 23, 2014 10:04PM
I've produced several hundreds, maybe close to a thousand brass nozzles in about a year. I love brass as a workable material. But, I think I've probably consumed about a pound of this stuff, just by it getting in the air or through skin contact. I'm kind of afraid of becoming the mad hater at this point.

What's the next best thing? Eventually, people are going to need a food safe material to print with and the lead content in brass makes it nonviable. Aluminum is too soft and wears out over time. Copper erodes and wears down. Stainless steel is not thermally conductive. I've thought about glass, but that's a long shot. Maybe just plain steel? Any ideas?
Re: Lead content of brass
January 23, 2014 10:44PM
They are making lead free brasses now. The plumbing manufacturers were forced to switch.
January 23, 2014 10:48PM
How about steel or stainless steel, drilled with EDM? You say glass is a long shot... but why not glass? (I assume you've already seen these pages: Glass Nozzles and Heater Block For Glass Nozzle.)
January 23, 2014 10:51PM

I'm kind of afraid of becoming the mad hater at this point.

This mis-statement is hilarious in light of your history on this forum.

Staying on topic...

You can get lead-free brass alloys, but they will probably cost more and be more difficult to machine. Here is one example: [www.nbmmetals.com]

I think unless you're creating fine airborne particles you're probably ok. From what I have been able to tell based on a few minutes bouncing around the web, the lead added to brass is inorganic in nature. Therefore it does not cross the skin barrier easily, so simply exposing your skin to it is probably not hazardous.

However I am not an expert. If you are really concerned you should talk to someone with expertise in this area.
January 23, 2014 10:51PM
January 23, 2014 10:56PM
I wonder if anyone has tried making ceramic hot ends?

The material would be cheap, but making them exact and accounting for shrinkage during firing might be tricky. But if a proper mold could be made to press it out and the proper size I would think it would work great.
Anonymous User
January 23, 2014 11:13PM
Thanks crispy1. Your insensitivity towards a blue collar machinists living without health insurance is greatly appreciated. That being said, if you get exposed to enough of something, it'll kill you, eventually. They don't make lead free brass in 1/4" hex stock. Ceramics is interesting, but it needs to be commonly available and relatively machinable. I was thinking TiN coated steel.
January 23, 2014 11:31PM
Ceramics would be clay, either in semi solid form or liquid (slip) you would mold it not machine it. Then it would need to be fired, then glazed then fired again. It's readily available and inexpensive. I use to buy 50lb blocks of ceramic clay for around $22.00

I suppose you could bisque fire clay and they try to machine it though it might be to brittle at that stage. Then do a full firing. Once fully fired it's really to hard to machine and would take diamond abrasive to do so.
January 23, 2014 11:35PM
Not exactly what I was thinking about but... [www.2engineers.com]
January 23, 2014 11:36PM
OK this is more like it [www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login