Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using a GT2 pulley

Posted by Rigor_M 
Using a GT2 pulley
January 29, 2014 01:48PM
Hi all,
This may sound like a stupid question but, would it be possible to use a GT2 pulley as a (mini) hobbed bolt ?

the interior is 7.2mm and combined with a 608 berring to conpress the filament onto the pully.. could that make a good grip for ABS / PLA ?

Just thinking out loud here :-)

Thanks,

J-F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 01:49PM by Rigor_M.
mrc
Re: Using a GT2 pulley
January 29, 2014 02:09PM
i think it could work but i doubt it works nice,
i saw this 3D doodle thing today, they basically used a normal gear
and it worked surprisingly well.

look at QU-BD Drive gear its also made like a normal gear (i think actually it is a normal gear but thats another topic)
i think they still sell it, but a mk7 Gear just works a thousand times better.

A pulley should be even worse than that so the key question is,
why use a Pulley instead of a drive gear?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 02:11PM by mrc.
January 29, 2014 02:22PM
If you look at the profile it isn't condusive for gripping the filament with the rounded peaks of the pully.
January 29, 2014 02:45PM
I was asking because I was curious and I had some around.. (and no MK7.. there 17$/gear + shipping.. not cheap..

Do you have a good place to get some and wont break the bank in the process ? :-)
January 29, 2014 02:46PM
cdru
If you look at the profile it isn't condusive for gripping the filament with the rounded peaks of the pully.

that make sense.. would making a track/hobbed the pulley help with gripping ?
January 29, 2014 04:58PM
[www.ebay.com] mk7 for $10 delivered.
January 29, 2014 06:26PM
mrc
i think it could work but i doubt it works nice,
i saw this 3D doodle thing today, they basically used a normal gear
and it worked surprisingly well.

look at QU-BD Drive gear its also made like a normal gear (i think actually it is a normal gear but thats another topic)
i think they still sell it, but a mk7 Gear just works a thousand times better.

A pulley should be even worse than that so the key question is,
why use a Pulley instead of a drive gear?

I have an MK8, I cannot imagine using anything else anymore. It worked from the first try and it has never ever eaten any filament. It just doesn't chew! Great!

Really happy I bought 2x MK8 hehehe so I can now design a nice extruder for my other printer as well.
January 30, 2014 01:14AM
Pulleys are made to have belt running over them, they may not be wear resistant enough to be used as hobbed bolt. Some are even made of plastic.
February 03, 2014 01:26PM
Rigor_M
I was asking because I was curious and I had some around.. (and no MK7.. there 17$/gear + shipping.. not cheap..

Do you have a good place to get some and wont break the bank in the process ? :-)

Trying to save money on the most important parts of the printer is not wise. These are areas you do not want to cheap out on...just buy a quality hobbed pulley and you will be much happier.

I use several of these - [trinitylabs.com] and they work great, price isn't bad either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login