Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pulley bore tolerances, 5mm +/- 0.02mm is that ok? (added a video)

Posted by xchip 
pulley bore tolerances, 5mm +/- 0.02mm is that ok? (added a video)
February 19, 2014 05:34AM
I bought the following item

[www.ebay.com]

I was expecting the pulley to be more tight fit, I can feel how the timing belt becomes tense and less tense when it spins due to the eccentricity of the pulley..

Is this normal? I'll try to post a video

Edit: here is the video: [youtu.be]

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 06:53PM by xchip.
Re: pulley bore tolerances, 5mm +/- 0.02mm is that ok?
February 19, 2014 05:43AM
if your pulley is held on with a grub screw, and the shaft hole is too big then it will run off-center.

for now, you can put some aluminium foil / pie tray around the shaft to make up the difference in size, for that price the pulleys are probably quite low quality.

the belt definitely shouldn't get tighter and looser as it movessmiling smiley
Re: pulley bore tolerances, 5mm +/- 0.02mm is that ok? (added a video)
February 19, 2014 06:52PM
Adding a video to show the eccentricity

[youtu.be]

Is this normal?
Cheers
February 19, 2014 07:10PM
No that's not normal somebody sent something wrong or your shaft is different than what you thought did you measure it.
February 19, 2014 07:12PM
That's a lot worse than +/- 0.02 mm. The eccentricity of the pulley translates to error in positioning by the same amount. I wouldn't use that pulley without some way to center it.
February 20, 2014 11:15AM
The motors I am using are a Nema 17 and have a 5mm shaft, and are the ones used for the makerbot, they even have 'MakerBot' engraved on the back.
February 20, 2014 11:53AM
xchip
The motors I am using are a Nema 17 and have a 5mm shaft, and are the ones used for the makerbot, they even have 'MakerBot' engraved on the back.
you going to need something to measure with by a cheap set of dial calipers you can usually get some cheap ones less than 20 bucks maybe eBay. Anybody that has a printer should have at least a set of dial calipers so you can measure your parts to calibrate and check printed parts. You have to find out what's wrong at the moment I would assume the pulleys you bought were wrong but you need dial calipers to see what's wrong do you know anybody that has some. You can take pully and motor over to his house or invite him over with calipers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 11:55AM by cnc dick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login