Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What the best frame

Posted by sungod3k 
What the best frame
February 20, 2014 09:41AM
Hey printer commanders,

I need a new frame for my reprap, I bought one from a kickstarter but the longer I use and fix it the more I see some pretty damming design flaws. Yesterday I calculated that I need some ~140$ more and even then I need to spend time and creativity to get a sub optimal printer. For that money I can get either a I3 frame or enough aluminum profile and belts to make a delta printer.

So my question now, what frame is the best in your opinion?
Re: What the best frame
February 20, 2014 12:07PM
What do you have already (and therefor don't need) that's usable for a new printer? And how much do you have/want to spend? Do you want an open frame? Something enclosed? Do you have any special considerations that you want to explore such as an oversized build area or heavier/more sturdy construction to support light milling? Asking what is the best frame is a very subjective based on the person building it. It's like asking what is the best electronics, best color of filiment, or best stepper motor. There is no best, just ones that work well.

I chose a Mendel90 when I went with mine. It didn't look "crude" to me as some of the designs that used threaded rod. It's easy to work with, light, solid, and not all that expensive for the dibond if you can find a source that will sell you some smaller than a full sheet at a time.
February 20, 2014 12:52PM
I have all electronics, motors, bed, extruder a full printer.

You´re right i should be a bit more precise. I want a frame that needs few specialized parts and is sturdy enough to endure acceleration of >4000 at a decent print size of 25cm³

It would probably easiest to get a I3 frame, the mendelmax (http://reprapuniverse.com/catalog/images/mendelmax_1_5_frame_kit_large.png) is probaly sturdiest but also expensive, but my favorite is the Cerberus pup (delta) http://www.replicatemypart.com/images/puprender.jpeg scaled up a but, the only thing there is to find good carriages.
February 20, 2014 02:25PM
I would go for the Delta bot. All Mendel variants have the issue of the heavy moving parts which will make the acceleration a problem for the motors and the belts, not just the frame.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 20, 2014 04:06PM
Yes I like the delta alternative. I also found [forums.reprap.org]
February 20, 2014 05:03PM
sungod3k
Yes I like the delta alternative. I also found [forums.reprap.org]

Yes that would be a good machine. RichRap knows his stuff.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login