Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Frame type

Posted by AEracer7 
Prusa i3 Frame type
February 24, 2014 11:27AM
Hello, I am working on a build for a Prusa i3, partial einstein variant (mostly 10mm rods) I have just about everything I need aside from misc hardware that I will be putting together an order for soon. I am yet to decide which frame style I want. I live within 5 minutes of an overstock warehouse that I can get a lot of metal pretty cheaply, so I was thinking about building a metal box style frame.

Does anyone have any input on why this wouldnt work or any helpful suggestions? Most of the frame would probably be bolted together, although I could weld it. I would probably use entirely steel angle and steel plate. I do not own but have access to manual (hand controlled) mills if needed also. The majority of metal work would be done with an angle grinder, bench grinder, dremel, and files.

Also would 1/4 inch steel plate work as a good material to make the printer bed plate from?

Thanks!
Re: Prusa i3 Frame type
February 24, 2014 11:47AM
The metal frame should be fine. But I dont think 1/4" steel would work for a print bed. It will probably be too heavy.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
February 24, 2014 02:34PM
Any where that the frame doesnt need to be solid on a sides like the box frame is to cut down on costs potentially?
Basically any ways that I can make this more like a skeleton type frame while still having structural integrity and room to attach everything.

What would be a good alternative for the printbed then?
February 24, 2014 02:43PM
I use aluminum sheet for my print beds at 1/8" thick.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 25, 2014 05:29PM
Excellent, I'm pretty sure they have that there, I will be getting everything tomorrow following my last class.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login