Pronterface scale or steps

Posted by TheBearF8 
Pronterface scale or steps
March 03, 2014 04:25PM
Hi All
Just finished my first build and have the printer connected
Using Pronterface I am able to move the X, Y and Z smiling smiley

However
It would appear that 0.1 moves the head the greatest amount, while 1 moves the head about 1/2 as much and 10 moves the head again by 1/2 100 the motor wines but there is no movement at all
What could be wrong ?

Plus when I move X or Y you just hear a "grunt" as the motor moves
While with Z is sounds more like a "whine" as the motor moves
What could be wrong ?

Thanks in advance
Re: Pronterface scale or steps
March 03, 2014 05:39PM
I kinda the same problem when i first finished mine. Here is a guide to the calbration page.

[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 05:39PM by Doug1.
March 03, 2014 06:03PM
Most likely you have your acceleration or max speed settings in firmware set too high, or your steps/mm for each axis are way off.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 03, 2014 06:41PM
Thanks guys

What I currently have:
---------------------------
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 25} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

Is the default that I see in the Marlin code

I have the Sainsmart Ramps1.4 kit (Sainsmart 2560 , Ramps 1.4 and LCD)
my motors are NEMA 17 (SUMTOR 1.8" 1,3A) for X, Y and 2x Z .
The Extruder Motor is a Kysan 1124101

The first #define talks about default for Ultimaker , which this is not.

Pronterface has XY 3000 mm/min

1) What does this mean and should I change this ?

2) How do I find what value is being used (e.g. for MAX_FEEDRATE) ?

3) How do I find what value I should have set ?

Thanks again
March 03, 2014 07:01PM
For your DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT for X, Y, and Z, use the following calculator: [calculator.josefprusa.cz]
Set the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT for E based on actual length of filament drawn into your extruder: (wanted_length/measured_length)*old_steps_per_unit

DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE should be somewhere around the following: {150, 150, 4, 35}
These values can be increased or decreased as necessary - increase if you want to try running your printer faster, decrease if you get missed steps. These values only apply if you ask the printer to run faster than these values.

DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION should be lowered significantly - try {1500, 1500, 100, 1500}
These values can be increased or decreased as necessary - increase if you want to try running your printer faster, decrease if you get missed steps.

DEFAULT_ACCELERATION and DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION can be tried at 1500 as well.
These values can be increased or decreased as necessary - increase if you want to try running your printer faster, decrease if you get missed steps.

See if those values help. That should get you started at least, although those values are probably not going to be optimal for your machine.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 03, 2014 10:06PM
Thanks Cameron

After much playing around I think I got it right ???

One thing I did not just on the Y axis
Move forward by 10 and move back by 10 does not return to the same spot on the rail
If Forward is 10 then backward was only 9

what would cause this difference ?

Thanks again
March 04, 2014 06:06PM
Probably loose belt, pulley or motor bracket on Y-axis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login