Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to actually build a Damn extruder

Posted by goinreverse 
how to actually build a Damn extruder
January 11, 2010 10:54PM
I recently made another post regarding how to build a mendel, I selected to do so by first building a mcwire to bootstrap the parts for the mendel.

After just sending off the cutting files for the mcwire 1.2 today I believe that they do NOT include the extruder parts. This is very #@@$%% frustrating. I ordered the miscellaneous parts such as the barrel and pulley from makerbot. They are perpetually out of the laser cut pieces though.

Where are the drawings for the pieces that need to be cut for the extruder? I was not able to find what I saw to be a reliable resource for them.

Thanks.

EDIT: Swapped in damn for #$%^^ because it may bork someone's rss reader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2010 02:45AM by SebastienBailard.
Re: how to actually build a #$%^^ extruder
January 11, 2010 11:54PM
Those files are on their svn.
[Svn.makerbot.com]

Though you just as easily use the RapMan extruder, or the Tamiya extruder that i'm using,

There are several extruder designs around for a repstrap, look on thingiverse.
January 12, 2010 12:25AM
Thanks for your reply, the link to the maker bot layouts is helpful. Any idea what thickness acrylic is needed?

As for the other names how do I actually build those?
January 12, 2010 01:09AM
[wiki.makerbot.com]
Looking at the page it looks like either 3mm or 4mm thick sheet

PaxTruder
[www.thingiverse.com]

Tamiya Extruder
[www.thingiverse.com]
Mine is printed, but if you look closely at it, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert it to laser cut acrylic

RapMan Extruder
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]

I'm sure there are others, as i've seen NopHead with his own design, most of the designs are pinch wheel variants.

One last request, could you not use those first 5 upper case digits in your subject headers, thanks.
January 12, 2010 02:16AM
My apologies but those chars were my way of venting subtly without writing a gigantic rant. I think open source is great and I have contributed to open source projects for nearly 20 years, I've run companies whose projects were put out under the GPL. As far as open source projects go reprap is a 11 on the pulling your hair out scale. I've had an easier time convincing VC's to agree to giving away 2 million lines of "secret sauce" proprietary code under the GPL than building this thing. I am hoping to be able to contribute some work so that a lot more people can actually use this cause as it stands right now it seems like only about 10% of the people that start to build it are actually able to finish one.
January 12, 2010 02:49AM
Ok, this is the sort of detail I was looking for:

[wiki.makerbot.com]

This really makes it obvious how to build this for the mcwire.

Also note that many places here in the US stock only "standard" size acrylic i.e. 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 inches rather than mm though ponoko supports mm sizing.

Waiting to hear from makerbot what the thickness is.
Re: how to actually build a Damn extruder
January 12, 2010 02:55AM
No worries. I tweaked the subject header of your post so that it may help grogyans' feed reader.

You're generally very welcome to vent about website UI and organization issues, as that helps motivate useful change and action. Like nuking the twiki.

Here are good places to vent where it won't fall off our radar:
[objects.reprap.org]
[dev.forums.reprap.org]
January 12, 2010 04:42AM
goinreverse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My apologies but those chars were my way of
> venting subtly without writing a gigantic rant.

That's ok, I visit another forum which uses far worse language for a video game, it just generally pulls morale down while not really getting anywhere, and I find asking nicely works faster than flaming. And I have a lot of flaming at the moment trying to get some response out of the extruder, but that stays at home. And I have fun what i'm doing none the less smiling smiley.

Most important,

Have fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login