Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rotary axis project - printed parts

Posted by Rad Racer 
Rotary axis project - printed parts
March 24, 2014 10:57PM
Now that my 3D printer project is complete.....I thought it's time to see just what can be made with this technology.
For my first "real" 3D print project I started work on a rotary axis for the laser.

Although you can easily purchase belts, timing pulleys and gears online, my plan is to print as many parts as possible (gears, bearing housings, mounts, etc...)
My design will use direct drive system w/double helix gears to minimize backlash.

The first photo shows what I am attempting to build, the others show the parts I printed so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 11:28PM by Rad Racer.
Re: Rotary axis project - printed parts
March 24, 2014 11:06PM
so it is printed parts for a rotation axis?
March 24, 2014 11:18PM
Yes.

When complete it will be used to laser engrave cylindrical objects like drinking glasses, mugs or flashlights(as shown above).
March 25, 2014 04:14AM
Very cool.
March 25, 2014 08:45AM
So, you used your custom made tools to make a custom made 3D printer that is now making custom tools!

(I just wanted to type that out)
March 25, 2014 06:11PM
Rad,
It is exciting how good your prints are from a printer you completed only a short time ago. Nice project too. One question, aren't the printed gears likely to give you backlash, or can that be adjusted out?
March 25, 2014 08:51PM
ddseeker
So, you used your custom made tools to make a custom made 3D printer that is now making custom tools!

(I just wanted to type that out)

Yeap, machines making machines smileys with beer
Now if they only could think for themselves....you know like IRobot.
March 25, 2014 09:10PM
garyhlucas
Rad,
It is exciting how good your prints are from a printer you completed only a short time ago. Nice project too. One question, aren't the printed gears likely to give you backlash, or can that be adjusted out?

Doesn't seem to be an issue the double helix or herring bone gear design is really good almost no BL when mated. But to be sure......I will build in some adjustability winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login