Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A question about PLA Filament

Posted by jpan 
A question about PLA Filament
March 30, 2014 05:28PM
I have got filament from two different vendors. I always get white PLA and print them with a constant configuration. I noticed one difference: The filament I got from the first vendor is less reflecting, or more dull-looking, both before and after being printed, while the filament I got from the second vendor is a tiny bit more transparent, and more reflecting, and looks more watery. I personally like the filament I got from the first vendor, in terms of appearance and performance. But it is like $20 more expensive than the second vendor(both are in 1kg spools)(26 vs. 46 shipping included). I want to know what's the real difference between these two kind of filament. May be the ingredients affects it's properties?
A2
Re: A question about PLA Filament
March 30, 2014 08:22PM
There are fillers in the plastic to change the color, and material properties.
If you want to spend the money, you can send a sample to a company that specializes in reverse engineering resin.
I had to use one of these companies before, and it can be very interesting experience.
March 31, 2014 03:01AM
jpan
I have got filament from two different vendors. I always get white PLA and print them with a constant configuration. I noticed one difference: The filament I got from the first vendor is less reflecting, or more dull-looking, both before and after being printed, while the filament I got from the second vendor is a tiny bit more transparent, and more reflecting, and looks more watery. I personally like the filament I got from the first vendor, in terms of appearance and performance. But it is like $20 more expensive than the second vendor(both are in 1kg spools)(26 vs. 46 shipping included). I want to know what's the real difference between these two kind of filament. May be the ingredients affects it's properties?

Is this the one that you bought and is a bit "watery"

[www.aliexpress.com]

March 31, 2014 08:13AM
waitaki
jpan

Is this the one that you bought and is a bit "watery"

[www.aliexpress.com]

It looks similar. But the spool is somewhat different.
March 31, 2014 11:09AM
Why not say who you got the filament from?
March 31, 2014 05:26PM
It's from a seller on ebay. I got a spool for about $24/kg. Then I got filament from printrbot for forty something dollars for each spool including shipping.
April 01, 2014 11:11PM
What seller is this?
April 02, 2014 07:36AM
“digitide”
April 03, 2014 01:43PM
MatterHackers [my go to for filament] sells standard and pro filaments. I've purchased both and you describe the differences exactly the same. Cheaper is shinier and more clear while "Pro" filament is very much opaque and has a better, more matte finish. I had them on the phone at one point and decided to ask about it while I was talking to them and they said the the pro filament is made to look better and is made in the USA [cheaper from elsewhere, China?] and under tighter tolerances.
[www.matterhackers.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 01:44PM by MrDoctorDIV.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login