Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multi-Color Extruder

Posted by UNF3D 
Multi-Color Extruder
April 02, 2014 01:10PM
Good Afternoon,

Our club is very interested in upgrading our extruder- a .35 mm J-Head hot end. We will have multiple printers and we have plans to produce objects in numerous filiments from brick to cellulose to conductive ABS. We REALLY want to know where we can find a singe extruder that is bi or tri color- not dual extruder- a single hot end fed with multiple filiment colors and or types.

So if you were a university club that needed to have a large array of printers and extruders ( limit it to the Prusa and Delta for the moment) along wih maximum funcionality what should we get and where can we get it?

Thanks for helping us!

-UNF3D
Re: Multi-Color Extruder
April 02, 2014 01:22PM
AFAIK, multi-filament hotend/extruders are still in the prototype/development stage. If you really want one, you can do some research on them and I am sure someone has posted their prototype parts online somewhere. Then you can print them out and build one yourself.

Are you printing single objects in multiple filaments? Or do you want to be able to just use multiple filaments (ie. print a brick in brick then a circuit in conductive ABS)?

PS. Conductive ABS is a HUGE pain to use.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
April 02, 2014 01:43PM
Single objects in multiple filiments seems impossible with the current firmware since you would have to vary temps based on filiment type almost instanteous. Right now we simply want to be able to do multi-color models with as many color layers/blends as possible.
April 02, 2014 02:18PM
Any opinions on this: multi-filiment extruder
April 02, 2014 07:56PM
What I like about the Kraken is the ability to tune the height of the individual extruders. Which will also be a major pain when it comes to tuning the height of the individual extruders.

Water cooling is also very cool.
April 02, 2014 08:49PM
I bought 2 e3d bowden hot ends, no set up problems, they were both the exact same height, they work great.

I wired them together at the bottom and top with #14 solid copper wire through the fins...

I am surprised that I did not have any height issues........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login