Z probe questions.
May 28, 2014 07:28AM
Have I got this right? Z probing only ever assumes the bed is planar and just checks/adjusts for level?
Is there any printing software that can compensate for a curved bed by checking multiple points across the bed?
The repetier host quide suggests probing the bed at the edjes but surley it would be better to do it in the area of the object placement?
One would hope that the bed non-level was not more than a couple of layers so can this be blended out so that after say 10 layers the z compensation becomes zero.
Re: Z probe questions.
May 28, 2014 08:10AM
Intresting thought. I assume you are looking to print on a curved surface and not just so cheap you don't want to replace a bad print area.
I was thinking about something like this too. If you could print to the contour of an object you could repair an object directly, instead of creating a peice and gluing it in. W
May 28, 2014 08:46AM
As far as im aware you can set it more than four corners check out the video of the cube being printed on a seriously stupid angle

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 28, 2014 08:55AM
I was not thinking of anything that curved, just about trying to compensate for minor variations in my large (700mm x 400mm) glass bed.
Getting that critical first layer down is proving difficult over such a large area.
May 28, 2014 09:12AM
Marlin has something called "accurate bed leveling" which does 16 probes I believe on my delta and according to the description it calculates the points between each probe and compensates for the entire bed.
May 28, 2014 10:17AM
tjb1
Marlin has something called "accurate bed leveling" which does 16 probes I believe on my delta and according to the description it calculates the points between each probe and compensates for the entire bed.

tjb1- Can you tell us how to enable this? Is it just a different g-code command or is it in the firmware? Can you define the individual points, or just the 4 corners? I am successfully using G29 with 3-point probing, but 16 points would be ideal. I don't see any mention of "accurate bed leveling" in my configuration.h file.
May 28, 2014 10:49AM
stonedcoldskier
tjb1

tjb1- Can you tell us how to enable this? Is it just a different g-code command or is it in the firmware? Can you define the individual points, or just the 4 corners? I am successfully using G29 with 3-point probing, but 16 points would be ideal. I don't see any mention of "accurate bed leveling" in my configuration.h file.

Line 343 - [github.com]

I guess they call it "grid" leveling now based on the comment "// It used to be called ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING but "grid" is more descriptive".

I use an older version of Marlin that still supported FSRs in the bed thermistor area so I guess that is why the name is different.
May 28, 2014 12:19PM
Got it! Thank you very much... Looks like my version of Marlin must be even older than yours.
May 28, 2014 12:57PM
Yes thats what I use grid not the 3 point

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login