Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Everything slowed down; can't figure out the problem

Posted by sxt173 
Everything slowed down; can't figure out the problem
May 28, 2014 12:41PM
I have an odd problem, couldn't find a similar issue on the forums. I've recently set up my MendelMax (RAMPS 1.4) to work with a OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi. It was working fine for a few weeks and long story short something happened and the printer got stuck for 5-6 hours at 50C bed temp with the hot end touching it and 183C on the hotend. And all the stepper motors were extremely hot, probably stuck in a hold position.

I turned everything off, let the machine cool down. Now when I send any commands it works but at maybe 1/50th the regular speed. This applies to anything to do with the X, Y, Z or E axis. Same whether I send commands through OctoPrint or direct USB connection and Pronterface.

I'm pretty sure I killed something on the electronics. So should I be looking to replace the Arduino or the RAMPS 1.4 or maybe just the stepper drivers?
Re: Everything slowed down; can't figure out the problem
May 28, 2014 09:49PM
Tried a reflash?
May 28, 2014 10:32PM
Yup. I tried reflashing and no go.

Is there an easy way to just check to see if the Arduino is still fully functional so that I can at least rule that out?
May 28, 2014 11:03PM
I would pull the Arduino off the Ramps stack and upload a simple (led flashing?) prog and see if that works. Sounds a bit like a memory lock up?
Is the voltage regulator on the Arduino still sound?

May 29, 2014 04:58AM
sxt173
Yup. I tried reflashing and no go.

Is there an easy way to just check to see if the Arduino is still fully functional so that I can at least rule that out?

I would suggest trying a different Arduino board flashed with the same firmware if you have one to hand (even if taking off another machine) otherwise buy a new one for spares and test with that. Not the "cheapest" way to eliminate or confirm the Ardiuno but certainly the bullet proof method of elimination.

Alternatively, flashing a different program like the LED blink test code might unravel/unlock some oddity in the unit

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 05:00AM by Mutley3D.
May 29, 2014 05:57AM
Luckily Arduino's are way cheaper that Ramps and stepper drivers smiling smiley
Let us know when and how you fixed it!
May 29, 2014 09:38AM
Thanks. I'll try a new Arduino. I don't have any on hand so I'll see if Radio Shack has any or it'll be a week or so.
May 29, 2014 01:33PM
sxt173
Thanks. I'll try a new Arduino. I don't have any on hand so I'll see if Radio Shack has any or it'll be a week or so.

What is your location? If uk maybe i can help speed you up with a donor borrow??
Duh just realised "Radio Shack" nvm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 01:34PM by Mutley3D.
May 29, 2014 05:57PM
Mutley3D
sxt173

What is your location? If uk maybe i can help speed you up with a donor borrow??
Duh just realised "Radio Shack" nvm.

smiling smiley Thanks though. I'm in New York City area and thanks to Amazon I'll have it in a day.
May 30, 2014 08:29AM
Delivered by quadcopters, right? eye rolling smiley

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login