Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think you really can take ideas from the internet, and be the first to patent it without fear of losing a lawsuit.

Posted by A2 
Should I be taking this Down?

[tinkercad.com]

By the way, my first post.

I have searched and found no patent on my idea. I originally posted on Reddit before I joined reprap. This was 5 days ago. I have already been approached by a couple of the 3d Printing internet news scrapers, and one wants to run a story this week. I only got into 3D Printing last year. I want to build this with some like minded folks, as for the reason of posting it in the first place was to create some buzz. In 5 days, I am running around like chicken with his head cutoff. I I want to just say, that I do not mind sharing my ideas, but I guess I may always have to live with the idea that anyone can use your idea. Original Reddit submission below:

This is a basic proof of concept. Here is a mock up I did in Tinkercad. [tinkercad.com] to help me save time on drawing up the Delta base frame I used : [www.thingiverse.com] Basic Description : A Delta Style Printer with a rotating Table, giving the user multiple build areas that can be controlled with G-code and operated with Octoprint when on the road. An additional stepper motor controlling a rubber wheel, wich moves the table in increments based on the decided final build volume. Simple pinch rollers and bearings would be added to help stabilize the platform and help it turn effortlessly. the 2 pinch rollers in the front would also be minimally adjustable up and down giving you a little more tweak control on bed height. All the electronics including the x,y and Z steppers would be hidden in the top. XYZ motors would be on each corner post and the controller board and power supply would be in a center tray on top. Advantage over other printer set ups is pretty obvious. This could allow someone to go to their day job and print all day without being limited to just one print job. i.e. Lets say you have a 3 hour print job and a 5 hour print job and a 2 hour print job. This set up would allow you to run all 3 while away. Time is money. This set up currently would only be good for PLA. These would also work great as a centerpiece 3D printing display at events, malls or wherever a 360° view of printing is wanted. Anyway, I promised you a peek once I got it going. Here it is. Let me Know what you think.

Brad Milosh
Neat idea, start a new thread so others can follow your progress!

Did you see these Makerbot patents on 3d printer conveyors?

55 8226395 Automated 3D build processes
A conveyor or other transport mechanism is provided to support multiple, sequential builds from a three-dimensional fabrication machine. The conveyor may be heated/cooled, coated, or otherwise... 533

57 8287794 Automated 3D build processes
A conveyor or other transport mechanism is provided to support multiple, sequential builds from a three-dimensional fabrication machine. The conveyor may be heated/cooled, coated, or otherwise... 426
Has MakerBot Crossed The Line? For Some, Yes

Two examples of this pattern exist. OpenBeam reports their work on an auto-leveling system for RepRap printers has apparently been patented by MakerBot. Secondly, the Quick Release Extruder, originally designed by Thingiverse user Whosa whatsis, has also been patented. Whosa whatsis says on Google Plus:

Oh xxxx no. +MakerBot is trying to patent my work too.

There are likely other instances of this pattern occurring: innovative maker members of the MakerBot/Thingiverse community developing ideas that have subsequently been patented by MakerBot/Stratasys. Needless to say, the community is profoundly disturbed.

It’s questionable whether MakerBot can actually do this, given that the designs were supposedly provided to Thingiverse via a Creative Commons license that prevents subsequent patenting. However, there may be “fine print” in the Thingiverse terms of use license that may override the CC license.

Regardless of the legality, it is truly bad form to do this, particularly when the patent doesn’t even mention the originator as the inventor.

However, MakerBot/Stratasys’ lawyers and leaders evidently believe this is an appropriate corporate strategy. For us, it means this:

Confirmation that Stratasys is very aggressively pursuing patent strategies
A high probability that a large portion of Thingiverse contributors will abandon the service
Confirmation that MakerBot is now focusing solely on consumers and no longer the DIY community
Stratasys management approaches are used at MakerBot

[www.fabbaloo.com]
Cory Doctrow has written a bit about the extruder patent. It reads to me as more of a defense of Makerbot though he does say that he has reservations about the patent system in the US. While he rightly notes that what Makerbot and Stratsys are doing is part of what is a normal business procedure for me that doesn't make it any less palatable.

[boingboing.net]
Well, If you ask me if you invent something, you should be able to patent it. That's how it's been for centuries for good reason.
goldenmongoose
Well, If you ask me if you invent something, you should be able to patent it.

I don't think that's the topic here. The discussion goes about company M patenting things wich were invented by other persons long before.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

I would like to see RepRap set an example that other open/public forums can model after to encourage sharing of ideas that will help man kind advance.

Zach Hoeken
1. A blog is insufficient for prior art claims since websites are so easy to edit. I could easily backdate a post to the 80's if I wanted to.

I would like to see the postings in the RepRap forum, and wiki which are novel, new, and ideas that one skilled in the art wouldn't think of be recognized as published by legal, public, government, foreign entities, etc. The posting of these creations would be free to be used in any manner by any one as they see fit, baring licencing or patents.

As indicated by Zach Hoeken, nothing like this exist on the internet/web, at least for free, for people who want to help them selves, family, and the world with creative ideas submitted by others.

As a first step, can RepRap implement a rigorous method of date stamping forum and wiki posts, such that the ideas, means, methods, designs, utility, etc. can be referenced by legal entities? This might not be all that is required but I would like for RepRap to think about the possibility.

I think implementing a date stamp would go a long way to encourage clever independent contributors to submit their ideas. There are a lot of people not sharing novel ideas in public forums because of the U.S. "first to patent" law, and the lack of acknowledgment of being published by the USPTO. The protection of publishing you ideas on the internet/web is non existent, less you pay $120/page, totally unacceptable for an individual/private citizen. Obviously the patent system is holding back novel ideas that would help life on earth be less burdensome.

Some of us are old, and we'll die with our innovations/improvements before we'll post in a public accessible forum like RepRap, which makes it easy for any entity to steel/lift ideas, and legally claim a monopoly of a RepRap contributor idea.

Public forum contributors need assurance that patent hooligans are not a threat of using the "first to patent" monopoly law of their ideas to limit the original contributor, and their intended audience, i.e. the world from using their contribution as they see fit.

As I see it, shortly the professional, and creative contributors of RepRap will realize that their innovations are being patented by an entity that is preventing them from using their own idea. I believe this will end the innovation that RepRap is famous for. I predict that without changes RepRap will no longer be an innovating environment, but will instead be reduced to a trouble shooting forum "help me my print is not sticking",...and Bob's your uncle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 08:30AM by A2.
They are patenting using a switch to home. This is basic for any computer controlled motion. Every motor drive has a 'home' input for the past 50 years. This goes beyond 3d printing patents, they are submitting patents on the basic fundamentals of manufacturing that have been implemented for the past 100 years.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
goldenmongoose
Well, If you ask me if you invent something, you should be able to patent it. That's how it's been for centuries for good reason.

As Markus says that's not the issue. The issue is the abuse of the patent system. The asertion is that things that were posted to Thingiverse are being patented, or at least derivatives of those ideas where Makerbot is not the originator of the design or concept of the design. The system is designed so that if I had a patent on something broad and non specific, I could use it as a tool to extract a settilement from anyone I threaten to lititgate regardless of any merit in my claim. A patent infringement case does not allow the defandant to ask for costs should they be sucessful. The defense can cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to sucessfully defend. The system, while while beneficial as a general idea, is being gamed by those that aren't inventing anything and using the IP they have aquired not to protect a design they are selling but to prevent others from competing or used mearly as a means to generate revenue. In this case companies aquire these sorts of patents not to protect any IP but to either slow or stop the competition or as a hedge against the company not suceeding and selling off the IP to a patent troll when things go south to recoup at least some investment.
I would like to say, I have an idea to make a rotational laser beam with 5 settings that I can implant into my eyeballs.
setting 1 to reheat my coffee
setting 2 to kill flies
setting 3 to kill people
setting 4 to destroy a city
setting 5 to blow up planets
I have no idea on how to make it, but it doesn't matter, because it's my idea, and no one can patent it, from now until the end of time.
Insightful comments.

Makerbot Patenting Creations on Thingiverse
[makibox.com]
I take it as more of a lesson than anything else. I dont know what anyone else expected, especially after occupy thingiverse.
its kinda funny though.
industry patents 3d printing,
patents run out,
we take the info from the old patents and open source it
small industry replicates it for profit
small industry patents it.

what ever, I am just going to use the ideas from makerbots patents anyways. they basically posted instructions.
and besides. better patents expire every day that we can loot ideas from.
Tesla opens up all patents "maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession"
[www.teslamotors.com]
[www.reddit.com]
[www.reddit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 11:16PM by A2.
cakeslob
especially after occupy thingiverse

Ha! Like occupy thingverse was a thing. People call me a troll. Prusa is much more of a troll than lil ole me. Ocuppy thingiverse was the biggest internet 3d printing related troll campaign ever!
goldenmongoose
cakeslob
especially after occupy thingiverse

Ha! Like occupy thingverse was a thing. People call me a troll. Prusa is much more of a troll than lil ole me. Ocuppy thingiverse was the biggest internet 3d printing related troll campaign ever!

the occupy thing was a protest which started off i believe a sarcastic comment Josef Prusa made, if you are who i think you most likely are "troll" more than fits the description based on past history

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Occupy thingiverse was a trolling campaign directed by Prusa against an american company who privides reliable 3d printing products to thousands of people. What has he ever produced besides defective hot ends? My name is george hermenez and I'm from montana btw. I don't know who you think I am, but that's who I am.
goldenmongoose
Occupy thingiverse was a trolling campaign directed by Prusa against an american company who privides reliable 3d printing products to thousands of people. What has he ever produced besides defective hot ends? My name is george hermenez and I'm from montana btw. I don't know who you think I am, but that's who I am.

I'm not going to get into a debate on the reliability of makerbot printers as there is plenty of evidence to document the many problems and bad service people have experienced ,

my suspicion was based on your ip address going through Tor ,your email address is a disposable address and some of your previous posts raise a few eyebrows , not to mention your signature "sow discontent" really adds to the suspicion along with the way you have worded your response, but if you are George Hermenez i apologize for the confusion.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Another obvious 3d related patent, add graphene to filament. thumbs down

Lomiko Metals
[www.youtube.com]
RepRap, and Adrian Bowyer were mentioned in this article about Tesla Motors making their patents available.

Can giving away trade secrets benefit business?
11 June 2014

One fan of this system is Adrian Bowyer. He founded the RepRap Project - an initiative begun in 2005 which made designs for 3D printers freely available online. He also runs RepRapPro, a company which sells complete 3D printer kits. He says the open source model has been hugely beneficial.

"It turns all our customers into developers," he says. "Everybody who buys one of our machines can find out how it works, edit the programmes that control it, and often they send us suggestions for improvements. We have an enormous number of free researchers available."

The obvious risk is that rivals simply take advantage of the chance to get hold of some free research, but Mr Bowyer says that does not usually happen.

"By and large they don't," he says. "They do take some, but by then we've probably moved on anyway, because it's a fast moving field."
[www.bbc.com]
A2
Tesla opens up all patents "maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession"
[www.teslamotors.com]
[www.reddit.com]
[www.reddit.com]
That's exactly what I was about to post "Makerbot, where are you!?"
Thanks, though.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Do you think your licence CC/NC, etc. protects your ideas when they are available as a STL download?

US Legal Lessons from Canada’s First STL IP Infringement Case, By Michael Weinberg
[www.publicknowledge.org]
A2
Do you think your licence CC/NC, etc. protects your ideas when they are available as a STL download?

US Legal Lessons from Canada’s First STL IP Infringement Case, By Michael Weinberg
[www.publicknowledge.org]

As several here have mentioned it's established that copyright only protects the creative work and not the object but it's good to see some press about it. An example is if you bought a cookbook. The distribution and copying of the book is covered by copyright but the tasty goods created by the recipes are not. It would be the same with plans for an object, say a table or a dresser that are purchased. The copyright applies to the plans but not the goods that can be produced from the plans. This isn't a new concept but it is one that many, including respected business owners in the 3D DIY business have a difficult time understanding.
Its not exactly the same premise, but this really reminds me of Atlas Shrugged. Especially the talk of people no longer wanting to innovate in the Reprap community.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login