Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low-E Glass

Posted by cream 
Low-E Glass
July 03, 2014 02:47AM
So it begins. I have been doing a lot of reading over the past month and I think i am ready to start sourcing parts for my build. As part of that i am trying to get as many things cheap, or free, as possible. If i act quickly, i can grab a few large, thick 3/4" sheets of Low-E glass for free. I plan on building a delta and I like that they are large sheets that I will be able to cut into a hexagon.

So my question is, will the low-E coating insulate the heat from the heatbed? My understanding is that Low-E glass reflects the sunlight allowing for cooler rooms in a house, but will it also reflect the heat from the bed back down? It is hard to find this specific information about this since clearly this is not the intended use for the glass. Any ideas on how this glass might work under these conditions?
Re: Low-E Glass
July 03, 2014 06:37AM
I presume it filters out or reflects radiated light... I would not expect it to make a massive diference to how it conducts heat. If I were you i would be more worried about what the surface coating will do to how things stick to the glass. (wont matter if you plan to use tape)
July 03, 2014 06:38AM
Heat is transferred from the heatbed primarily by conduction rather than radiation. I presume you are talking about the print surface being glass in which case I would say that 3/4" is much thicker than the usual 3mm or so which suggests that it is glazing with an air gap between 2 sheets in which case it will insulate and not be of use to you.
July 03, 2014 11:44AM
Dang, you're right. I didn't even think about the fact that the thickness is most likely based on two pieces of glass framed together. I guess I will contact them to find out, but it if thats the case, then probably not worth it.

Thanks
July 03, 2014 11:44AM
Dang, you're right. I didn't even think about the fact that the thickness is most likely based on two pieces of glass framed together. I guess I will contact them to find out, but it if thats the case, then probably not worth it.

Thanks
July 03, 2014 12:04PM
As far as I've been aware, it's the gas inbetween that filters and insulates heat. So I'm pretty sure he's on the money about two sheets.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 03, 2014 12:33PM
Agreed, once I read ralphs post the bulb went on. I really should have thought of that myself. Thick glass is typically used more for tables and such, and would not have a Low-E coating.

Plus, i just heard back from the guy, and they are in fact panes comprised of 2 sheets of glass.

Oh well, back to searching.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login