Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Could shapeoko2 run on marlin?

Posted by caleb12134 
Could shapeoko2 run on marlin?
July 05, 2014 02:00AM
Hi, I just bought a shapeoko 2 cnc machine and also own a printrbot simple metal. The build plate on my metal is so small, and I am going to make a removable 3d printer head to the shapeoko 2 to make larger prints, if I bought another printrboard from printrbot and just plugged the extruder into it and buy an extrudrboard here "http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-extrudrboard/" which adds another extruder port, I could just plug the dremel to the main board, and the removable extruder to the extrudrboard. Would the cnc mill be able to operate on marlin? Like cut, and work things properly? as well as just switch them and unplug the dremel (press the power switch on it). I am trying to get it all on one control board, and not have to unplug anything.
Re: Could shapeoko2 run on marlin?
July 05, 2014 03:26AM
Start here. [www.buildlog.net]

The Shapeoko forum is a good resource as well.
A2
July 05, 2014 03:53AM
Tks vegasloki, that is a very helpful link for what I want to do thumbs up

What is an alternative CAM program to Vectric $400.00 Aspire? Or said in another way, will this guys hack work with any CAM program?
[www.vectric.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2014 04:16AM by A2.
July 05, 2014 12:42PM
Inkscape is good and there is a gcode plug in. I haven't used the plug in but I've used Inkscape and it's FOSS. The Shapeoko forum has a bunch of folks that use FOSS tool chain solutions.

I've got some plates cut for a machine and plan on building one when I can get to it. I'm using a,Smoothieboard. For someone that doesn't already have an electronics package that looks to be a good option for those that want a multi purpose machine.
July 05, 2014 04:54PM
reptier host is capable of generating code for cnc style reprap machines. you just need to assign a axis, and then in control software that runs the gcode make the a axis rotational.

select gcode style in reptier host as part of printer configuration. i think slicer also has code generation for this, as well as skienforge
A2
July 05, 2014 07:27PM
What is a "FOSS tool chain solutions"?

Every thing is pointing me to use a Smoothieboard on a multipurpose machine.

Does Smoothieboard have a HDMI input, I can't find what type of video inputs it has?
[smoothieware.org]

Smoothieboard:
allows for Ethernet, drag-and-drop firmware, and exposing the USB port as both a serial port or mass storage device.

Everything on the Smoothieboard is modular, meaning this board is equally capable of powering a RepRap, mill, laser cutter, or plotter. There’s even a planned control panel called the Smoothiepanel,

The Smoothie comes in three flavors, with either 3, 4, or 5 stepper motor drivers.
[hackaday.com]
July 05, 2014 11:27PM
I've run marlin on my cnc for about a year now using cambam for my CAM operations and a plugin for marlin with no issues.
July 06, 2014 12:47AM
A2
What is a "FOSS tool chain solutions"?

FOSS = Free and Open Source Software

It's a term us old guys from the "revolution" use... smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]
July 06, 2014 01:04AM
So, could it work plug in play situation with repetier, and a 5 axis control board like smoothie board, or printrboard? and just select the different types of printers, and it would work? as long as you click the down arrow next to the connect button on repetier and select the cnc for cnc and the 3dprinter for the printer? like add the printer as a new one and just made sure you switched to the correct one for the job? Also thanks for the link to shapeoko forum!
July 06, 2014 07:43PM
Or is there something else I am missing? I am just looking for an easy solution to just add the removable extruder head (has stepper motor, extruder, gears, and, auto leveling probe to it, which is why I wanted to use printrbot printrboard).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login