Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wetting Effect and FDM/FFF

Posted by sanman 
Wetting Effect and FDM/FFF
July 16, 2014 09:24AM
Here's an interesting article I came across relating to the claim of being able to 3D print optical lenses:

www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=11129

The reason why regular 3D printers cannot produce functioning optics is due to the fundamental way a 3D printer constructs its components - in cured layers. When these layers are fused together they form borders in between them.

One of the necessary requirements for a functional optical component is that light must be able to travel through it without being interrupted. The borders existing in traditionally 3D printed components scatter light.

This is not to say that 3D printers can't produce shapes that resemble lenses, in fact they can create components that look like perfect lenses, but they won't work like a lens.

Another necessity for lenses is that they must have a smooth surface, criterion that the layering system again can not satisfy.
The Solution

Printoptical© exploits the natural flow of liquids to avoid the bordering between layers. When two droplets of liquid touch each other, they join together to become a larger droplet. It was this principle that inspired LUXeXceL to develop a 3D print head that is able to place droplets in very specific places.

Utilising a UV curable clear polymer, LUXeXceL's 3D printer jets droplets into place and then waits for them to naturally combine, before applying the UV light to cure the lens. This avoids the issue of bordering which has haunted conventional attempts to create lenses via 3D printing and perfectly clear products are able to be manufactured.

So can any similar technique be used in FDM/FFF as well, or would it only be useful for SLA?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 09:25AM by sanman.
Re: Wetting Effect and FDM/FFF
July 16, 2014 09:40AM
I think a problem you would have with trying use this with FDM is that it lays down a molten plastic (as opposed to a liquid resin). So when the droplets converge, they would still have the border that is the problem to begin with.

Not to say it can't be done.

What I am curious is why they don't just use something like DLP to cure (or maybe they are). Wouldn't DLP be able to expose a whole cross section of the lens? Or are they saying they make the lens in 1 layer? Like they put down 4 large drops that converge and make one huge droplet that is the final lens?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
July 16, 2014 01:08PM
They make the lense as per normal SLA, then as a post production, add the droplets with smooth out the surface simply by natural tension of the resin.

Excellent idea, I'd thought of similar things, but they have a much better way of going about it.

With FDM machines, use an clear filament and you can "clearly" see why it wouldn't work. The internals are full of holes, pits, bubbles. I have yet to see a single FDM machine produce a truly solid part, but of course I have not searched for that specifically, so it may very well be out there.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 16, 2014 03:17PM
Wouldn't putting droplets of resin inside a retainer of some sort, then exposing to UV light still give you a lense, but without layering?

I could see that being possible witha dual "extruder". FFF a circular retainer then drop in the exact amount of resin you need to make the lense. And finally expose the resin to a UV light until it is thoroughly cured.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login