Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how important heated bed ?

Posted by fikri 
how important heated bed ?
August 23, 2014 07:32AM
what happens if the 3d printer does not use heated bed. if the printer is still able to work well or not at all?.

please answer my friends.

I'm a beginner in this field, even I have not had this printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 07:33AM by fikri.
Re: how important heated bed ?
August 23, 2014 09:11AM
Hi, using a printed bed is optional but not needed, however, it's strongly advised to have one as the benefits are so great.

For ABS I have not been able to print without a heated bed, but for PLA it is possible if you use the right print surface, for example the blue 3M tape.

With a heated bed, my personal experience was mostly with kapton as this worked well for me with both ABS and PLA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 09:12AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
August 23, 2014 09:30AM
Doesn't matter what material you use, a heated bed is a near necessity for raising the quality of your prints like nothing else [except proper cooling for PLA]. PLA will get along without it under the right circumstances, but in all my testing with that, the quality of the first layer or two could never reach that of when I did use the heated bed. I highly recommend the heated bed.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
August 23, 2014 09:51AM
hello Ohmarinus and MrDoctorDIV

I saw on yotube, most "printers rostcok" do not use the heated bed.

Can you explain to me what they use filaments, so that it can print without a heated bed. and whether the differences in filament abs and pla it, so it determines the quality of the print?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 09:55AM by fikri.
August 23, 2014 10:17AM
PLA is easy to print without a heated bed. ABS and many other materials require a heatbed.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 23, 2014 10:33AM
hello srek.

between the two filaments that, where the best and strongest you think?
August 23, 2014 01:43PM
is there a reason you want to run without a heated bed?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 23, 2014 02:32PM
It depends on the use. Personally i use PLA for very few things, i usually find it not stable enough and hard to machine. ABS is much more useful for my purposes (technical and machine parts).
In general PLA is a bit harder, but ABS is tougher and less brittle. Also it is very stable in the long term, PLA isn't.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 23, 2014 06:50PM
you can print parts up to 100mm in size without a heated bed with pla and sometimes with abs, the issue is shrinkage and warping at the bottom because of the cooling. this can be alleviated with rafts, and leaf end tabs, or extremely slow print speeds, but your going to use about 45% of your build material supporting the structure to insulate and to prevent warping. it is a time of print and or cost decision in the long run to use a heated bed.
August 23, 2014 07:20PM
hello thejollygrimreaper , srek and jamesdanielv

apparently heated bed is very important. what size power supply do I need to make a 3d printer with a heated bed, because I see the power needed heated bed big enough?
August 23, 2014 09:12PM
fikri
hello thejollygrimreaper , srek and jamesdanielv

apparently heated bed is very important. what size power supply do I need to make a 3d printer with a heated bed, because I see the power needed heated bed big enough?

i run off a 19v 180watt power brick with my modified version of marlin that gives me hardware pwm to get the most out of the powersupply

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 23, 2014 09:55PM
hello thejollygrimreaper

how about "240W Switching Power Supply Transformer DC 12V 20A ( [www.ebay.com] )", whether it is strong enough to run a 3d printer?
August 23, 2014 10:49PM
fikri
hello thejollygrimreaper

how about "240W Switching Power Supply Transformer DC 12V 20A ( [www.ebay.com] )", whether it is strong enough to run a 3d printer?

it would work, however i personally avoid these power supplies because some of them don't have working overload and short circuit protection, a lot of people will disagree arguing "i've never had a problem with mine"

these are the power bricks i use and sell click here

August 23, 2014 11:54PM
hello thejollygrimreaper

why do you avoid it, the power supply has also been protected by the "Protection against short circuit, overload and overvoltage.", if you could explain to me why?
August 24, 2014 01:12AM
fikri
hello thejollygrimreaper

why do you avoid it, the power supply has also been protected by the "Protection against short circuit, overload and overvoltage.", if you could explain to me why?

a lot of these Chinese built power supplies will have it advertised that they have the features, however in practice it can be very different and there is no reliable way to tell which is which, the power bricks seem to be different however you pay for it because they are typically a little more expensive

August 24, 2014 02:17PM
I use a 220V silicon heating for my main printer. No PSU needed, but you need to be proficient in setting up stuff that uses high voltage.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
August 25, 2014 02:02PM
fikri
hello Ohmarinus and MrDoctorDIV

I saw on yotube, most "printers rostcok" do not use the heated bed.

Can you explain to me what they use filaments, so that it can print without a heated bed. and whether the differences in filament abs and pla it, so it determines the quality of the print?

Just to add, a lot of Delta/Rostock printers actually do use a heated bed. There are round versions available and some use square, although it doesn't look as classy smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login