Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend Power Supply Issue

Posted by pstock175 
Hotend Power Supply Issue
August 31, 2014 01:17PM
Hi Everyone,

I have recently wired up my RepStrap Prusa i3 -ish printer, and am using a 350 Watt Thermaltake ATX 12V Power Supply. I have shorted the recommended pins on the 24 Pin harness (Green to Ground) and have the motors and endstops working perfectly. However, when I try to turn on the hotend it instantly kills my power supply (fan stops spinning, no power to RAMPS). I have looked around the forums but don't really even know where to begin on this problem.

Any help/starting point is greatly appreciated!
Re: Hotend Power Supply Issue
August 31, 2014 01:23PM
It sounds like you have a short somewhere on the hot end heater. I would start by checking/insulating all the wires to the hot end heater.

Thingiverse Profile
Re: Hotend Power Supply Issue
September 01, 2014 01:58PM
my guess is either a short in the heater of which you can check its resistance, and a possibility that 350watts (of which half the power is 12v and likely the other half 5v) may not have enough power to work properly especially so if you are using a heated cartridge, or a 2 resistor setup.

check the heater wiring, and also verify the current rating for 12v. labels should be on the side of the supply, also provide the supply model number, believe it or not '350 Watt Thermaltake ATX 12V Power Supply' is not specific enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:59PM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login