Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

swapping nozzles on hot ends

Posted by gordonendersby 
swapping nozzles on hot ends
October 02, 2014 06:33AM
Hi guys,

Can you swap nozzles on hot ends while the hot end is still attached to the extruder and carriage?
Ive been looking at ways to easily change the nozzles size for printing.
It seems such a waste to swap the whole extruder, hot end and motor assembly as with the quick change x carriages.

Ive got a .3mm nozzle at the moment but want to switch to a larger one for larger prints.
I should imagine the filament sitting in the heat chamber could gum up the nozzle threads.
Also a risk of leaks from the threads.
Would it need to be done while hot?

Anybody got any experience of doing this?

Gordon
Re: swapping nozzles on hot ends
October 02, 2014 04:44PM
I've been known to take a nozzle off an E3D while it's hot. I nearly managed to burn my fingers in the process, but it is possible. I couldn't take it off when cold as the plastic in the melt chamber glued things together.

Getting the nozzle back on again while the hotend was hot was almost impossible to do without suffering burns. That thing gets hot very quickly.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 03, 2014 12:50AM
I do it regular. It must be done while hot, and they usually spin off (after loosening) with a flick of a screwdriver or something (just keep turning the spanner if you have to). I let it drop onto a piece of card to cool. Putting a different size nozzle on should also be done with the heater on (even a new one) - just get it started then use a spanner to protect your fingers!.

October 03, 2014 04:59AM
I use a socket wrench to take off the nozzle while hot. The I put the replacement in by hand, screwing it in a little quickly before it gets too hot.
October 03, 2014 05:41AM
Thanks,

So its doable but fiddly.
Like the idea of using a socket. But mine arnt nut based.
They have 2 flats for a 7mm spanner.
Maybe I can make up a socket of some kind to fit.
Insulated maybe or that can attach to something insulated.

don't you find you need to hold the hot end as well?
doesn't it risk damaging the heater and sensor wires?

Gordon
October 03, 2014 05:41AM
Sorry double post

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 05:42AM by gordonendersby.
October 03, 2014 06:38AM
Yes, I grip the heater block with an adjustable wrench (carefully) prior to slackening the nozzle then just remove it easily.

Click here to login