Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Freezes mid print at same place - dual extruder

Posted by duckfriedrice 
Freezes mid print at same place - dual extruder
October 03, 2014 12:25PM
I have just upgraded my prusa i3 from single extruder to dual extruder ! smileys with beer

But here is the nightmare starts. It always freezes at the same place towards the beginning of a print.
This always freezes when printing at the very end of layer 2 of a print, while I'm printing with dual extruder.

But if I upload the previous firmware for single extruder, the print is fine.

When print freezes, its kind of lock up for few seconds then the hotend vibrates vigorously and move or lagging slowly.
Hotend will then try to continue to print, but very slowly and continue to vibrate vigorously.
Has to reconnect or emergency stop repetier in order to manual control movement again, otherwise the print continue to vibrate and move very slowly.

I can not complete 2 minutes worth of printing! Here is my set up and what I have tried so far......

- Prusa Mendel i3
- Ramps 1.4
- Marlin (Update)
- Repetier Host 1.0.5
- Slic3r 1.1.7
- 115200 baud rate
- Extruder 1 (ABS) / Extruder 2 (PLA)
- Windows 7 64bit
- Computer power plugged in
- Set computer to never sleep
- PSU 12V 50A

and here is what I have tried..

- ferrite chokes on USB cord / Power cord / Temp sensing cables
- changing baud rate to 250000
- Cura
- Print through LCD2004 SD Card
- PSU 12V 40A
- Z feedrate speed adjusted as slow as 3mm/sec
- Prontrface

As I've mentioned above, the print freezes at almost exactly the same place, at very end of layer 2.
I have uploaded my Gcode and config.h settings down below.
Hope this is a helping clue.

Please let me know any suggestions that you have as I want to get my printer running!

Mushroom test print Gcode
DualTestA.rar

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {1200,1200,160,0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80.2, 4050, 374} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 3, 65} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {2000,2000,30,2000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 2000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 2000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
// The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
// For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
#define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 29.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
#define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 0.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 10.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 12:31PM by duckfriedrice.
Re: Freezes mid print at same place - dual extruder
October 06, 2014 06:19PM
At the end of layer 2, are you changing to the second extruder? On the first two layers, is it just using the one extruder? Do you have a temperature differential configured between the extruders?

When changing nozzles / extruders, the printer will wait for one to heat up and the other to cool down, hence the delay.

Check the surface of the print - is it rough? You may have the oozing problem we all get when we first set up for two extruders and the nozzle dragging across it can cause vibration. Otherwise, it may be that your printer is having trouble maintaining the temperature of the second extruder. Check the temperature while you're printing.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 07, 2014 02:06AM
Thanks very much for your reply ~ smileys with beer

The first two layers do print with 2 extruders,
ie. the skirt and brim are printed with both extruders simultaneously

Extruder 1 is ABS set to print temp at 225C
Extruder 2 is PLA set to print temp at 185C

I've auto tune the extruder's PID a couple of times, the temp curve looks fine to me when print the first 2 layers

But I have a curious question about the temp graph in repetier.

In repetier, when print with 2 extruders, there is only one graph line for the hotends.
Since i'm printing ABS and PLA with different print temp, the temp graph will jump up by 40C when switching from PLA to ABS extruder.
Is this normal ?

Whereas in pronterface, there are 2 graph lines to monitor both hotends individually.
October 07, 2014 03:25AM
Did you configue repetier for both hotends in the setting?.
October 07, 2014 04:05PM
duckfriedrice
I've auto tune the extruder's PID a couple of times, the temp curve looks fine to me when print the first 2 layers

I knew I'd seen this before. I had similar behaviour after I'd tuned an extruder's PID. Can't explain why, but it happened. Reverting to the original cured it.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 07, 2014 04:42PM
do you have the latest repetier firmware? earlier versions had an issue of which an interrupt occurred and never resumed operation.
October 08, 2014 05:43AM
Re 3dkarma: I did revert the PID value back to original one, but didn't fix the lock up problem.

Re james: I'm quite sure I'm using the latest repetier software and marlin firmware.

Re pushthatbolder: I have set the repetier to 2 extruders.
April 24, 2015 05:37AM
I know this thread is old but wanted to chime in on this one as I had a similar issue. I am using ramps with a RRD fan extender as no other place for my cooling fan. Somehow if the pin out is not correct the fan will not modulate fan speeds. It will turn on and off at full speed without issues but if you try to change the speed (M106 S155) it will lock up. Seems like there is a feed back issue from the mosfet causing the chip to get overloaded and lock up. Cura has a setting that modulates the speed for the first few layers, I could never get past the first layer and it took me about a month of trouble shooting . Anyway, finding the correct pin seems to do the trick. A work around would be to just change the setting in Cura.

hope this helps someone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login