Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RRW black ABS outdoor?

Posted by kimented_ 
RRW black ABS outdoor?
October 10, 2014 05:31AM
Hi,

I must build a piece for a tractor. I have blue and black filaments from Reprapworld,does someone here already used it for outdoor usage? Do you think it is enough UV resistant?
Re: RRW black ABS outdoor?
October 10, 2014 08:02AM
what type of piece are you making?

[www.cityplastics.com.au]

quoting this website i would come to the conclusion of
'ABS is notsuitable for outdoor applications because of its poor UV resistance.'

They also mention that there is UV stabilised ABS
So it would depend on the Manufacturer, if they have added the additives to the plastics to make them UV stabilised.

this website talks about there own products, it was the first listing on google with the answer related to your question
October 10, 2014 10:07AM
I know that it depends on manufacturers, this is because I named it. On their website I see no mention about how their ABS filament will resist with UV. I will ask them...

If this filament is not suitable, what filament should I use for such an usage? The printed part should be exposed to the sun, to water, and heat...
October 10, 2014 10:30AM
To be honest, I would print it in PLA and then make a sand Mold then cast it is Aluminium.
But that because i have a forge and know what im doing.

For you, I do not know your skills.
You may be able to apply 'topcoat' for ABS
The same that you would use with resin and Fibreglass, because the Resin is not usually UV protected.
I don't know how well it would stick, but it would be worth a try.

The top coat hardens and protects from sun and I believe has some heat resistance, defiantly weather resistance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login