Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sliders for aluminum extrusions

Posted by sungod3k 
Sliders for aluminum extrusions
October 10, 2014 09:36PM
Hi,

Im sourcing for a new printer atm so I checked out the Vslot, makerslider and other aluminum extrusions and while the former are great product they are also 200-300% more expensive.

So instead of trying to fit the prodile to a slider why not go the otherway around and make a slider for the standard profile. like this guy here [www.thingiverse.com]
I imagine that if the profile is not a complete sharp 90° corner but a bit rounded like most profiles have a wheel fitted to the size of the slot would sit securely and center itself not a good as the Vslot maybe, but sufficient.

Anyone ever see a standard wheel like this? And what would speak against it?

Re: Sliders for aluminum extrusions
October 11, 2014 12:19AM
deltaprintr and grabercars sell delrin wheels:

[3d.grabercars.com]

[deltaprintr.com]

Is that what you are referring to?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 11, 2014 12:57AM
Yes, I would have expected a different shape is there any indication how stable when theyre sliding? the contact surface seems much lower.
October 11, 2014 07:49AM
I've personally never used them but from what I have heard they are plenty stable enough.

A typical wheel slider should have enough tension to pull the wheels towards each other and the wheel should be cut well enough that there is very little slop when they are in the extrusion slots.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 11, 2014 03:21PM
Yes, they work perfectly well. I can crank my delta to 300mm/s with no indication that they might be slipping.
October 11, 2014 05:17PM
aha, so the the vslot slot is much ado about nothing? ;-)

and also what height do you have in your printer and what size profiles are you using, I planning one meter height and Im not sure if 2020 is enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 05:24PM by sungod3k.
October 11, 2014 05:32PM
Stable, yes, but on such a small surface, over time (especially at speed) the rollers on the sharper corners will wear.

As for the price on V-Slot and such...
Price out your wheels, bearings, nuts, bolts, rail etc (also look at accuracy!)... then re-check the numbers. It's not as high-priced as you might initially think. And sorry, but riding a wheel on such a sharp edge is NOT optimal. It works, but it was not designed for it and therefore not going to work as well as something designed for that very purpose.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login