Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

6mm glass too thick?

Posted by Ryan_M 
6mm glass too thick?
December 09, 2014 09:31PM
I haven't even finished building my Prusa i2 yet and I broke the glass that came with the kit for the heated bed. It was 3mm. I have some 6mm handy and am wondering it it is too thick.

Thanks
Re: 6mm glass too thick?
December 10, 2014 06:50AM
I just started using 1/4in old mirror glass for my i3 and us fine. The weight is obviously higher but i don't print at stupid speeds so it's not a problem. It's actually better because larger parts can't bend the glass up like I've had happen in the past.
December 10, 2014 07:20AM
I am using 6mm float glass. Nice and flat and quite robust. Downside is that it just takes a bit longer to heat up.
December 10, 2014 08:02AM
If you are in a country with an ikea store. They sell 20cm square mirror tiles. 3mm thick.
They fit on the mk2 heated bed on my prusa i2 perfectly.
I use them with a layer of kapton on top.
[www.ikea.com]

Theyre incredibly flat and strong and only £6 for 4.
Picked up some more for a friend this morning.

Gordon
December 11, 2014 03:06AM
Any links for float glass?
December 11, 2014 05:11AM
Float glass is pretty standard in the UK. I am not sure about other parts of the world.
It is made by floating molten glass on top of molten metal, usually tin, so it is dead flat. Developed originally by Pilkington Glass in the UK, which is now owned by a Japanese company. It is licenced round the world but I think however the patents are long since expired. It is usually used for shop fronts and other large commercial glass applications where there is no distorsion. I just went to a local glazing shop and they cut up an off cut into 200mm x 200mm squares. I got 4 for 10 GBP.
December 11, 2014 09:10AM
dave3d
Float glass is pretty standard in the UK. I am not sure about other parts of the world.
It is in the US. Go to any hardware store and any of the normal "window glass" is going to be float glass unless it is safety, tempered, or has some type of architectural design like prism/wavy/bubbly/etc.
December 11, 2014 10:04AM
dave3d
It is made by floating molten glass on top of molten metal, usually tin, so it is dead flat.

I have once seen this with my own eyes, it's a beautiful process to watch.
You can see it here: [youtu.be] it's the Pilkington process.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login