Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Prusa i3 owner

Posted by GRAYWOLF 
New Prusa i3 owner
January 13, 2015 03:47PM
Just started building my Prusa i3 (supplied by ooznest) and while I have a basic understanding of cad and the grounds of getting the models ready to print. (I have downloaded a few and also made a few) and have a question.
Is there a good getting started book?
Re: New Prusa i3 owner
January 16, 2015 08:50PM
Hey... another ooznester smiling smiley I built mine just before xmas and am thoroughly enjoying it. For reading material drop by here and pick up the free mags, they contain some of the basics, some reviews and tutorials that you might find useful. From there it depends on what you are going to do, how are you going to create the models in the first place. Packt has "3D Printing with SketchUp" and "Blender 3D Printing Essentials", if you're gonna use openSCAD (highly recomended) there's a cheap "OpenSCAD for 3D Printing" on Amazon. And watch 3D hangouts on the Adafruit channel on youtube, it's on just about every week and is usually quite good with news and projects etc.

But really I don't think you need to buy to many books, you didn't for your 2D (paper) printer so why with a 3D one? Most non-program specific books on 3D printers either waffle on or show you how to build a printer from a few years back. If you have a question either come here or just Google it the answer will be more up to date.
January 17, 2015 03:59AM
thank, Im using inventor fusion for the heavy work then 123d for the finale adjustment. (I'm on OS X)
I have an issue with one of the endstops reading active when it shouldn't
January 17, 2015 07:07AM
I was going to use Blender as I do a lot of 3D modelling anyway, but I thought I'd try the other stuff anyway and I've found that openSCAD is a lot easier than what it looks. I'm trying 123D, 'cos adafruit's 3d hangout has some good tutorials on it.

Which end-stop? Remember the z-stop should be on and the others are off.
January 17, 2015 07:44AM
Was the z stop (reading open when closed) but after a few resets its all working now. just waiting on the thing to warm up for its test print.
Well that was a fail, tried to print from the top and work down? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 07:59AM by GRAYWOLF.
January 28, 2015 08:33AM
I found Blender works very well for me now since I can't afford and cannot justify an expensive CAD software.

Funny thing is I wanted to learn to use Blender for the longest time but I HATED it, The interface was confusing for me at best. All these Object mode, Edit mode blah, blah, blah...Then there are all these key short cuts, and I am a Mac user, so all the num pad short cuts don't apply to me since Mac keyboards don't usually have num pad. And to make it more confusing, the Blender developer likes to change things in every other release of Blender. So if you find a tutorial for a specific task, but the version of your Blender doesn't match, you will have no clue what the tutorial is talking about. I was really discouraged.

Every since I got the 3D printer, I decided to bite the bullet to learn to use it. Turns out it's not as hard as I thought. I found that a Blender cheatsheet-a list of key short cuts helps a lot. I am by no mean a Blender expert, but I know enough now to create objects on Blender that liberate the object from the cyber jail and bring it to the real world. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 08:37AM by rich1812.
January 28, 2015 12:39PM
rich1812
I found Blender works very well for me now since I can't afford and cannot justify an expensive CAD software.

Funny thing is I wanted to learn to use Blender for the longest time but I HATED it, The interface was confusing for me at best. All these Object mode, Edit mode blah, blah, blah...Then there are all these key short cuts, and I am a Mac user, so all the num pad short cuts don't apply to me since Mac keyboards don't usually have num pad. And to make it more confusing, the Blender developer likes to change things in every other release of Blender. So if you find a tutorial for a specific task, but the version of your Blender doesn't match, you will have no clue what the tutorial is talking about. I was really discouraged.

Every since I got the 3D printer, I decided to bite the bullet to learn to use it. Turns out it's not as hard as I thought. I found that a Blender cheatsheet-a list of key short cuts helps a lot. I am by no mean a Blender expert, but I know enough now to create objects on Blender that liberate the object from the cyber jail and bring it to the real world. smiling smiley

I'm also a mac user but I'm using a combo of investor fusion and 123D for finale tweeking.

Finished the first part of my Colt 1851 is twice the width that it should but I want it big (RRW rules and all that)
The good thing about the design is that with a brass collar around the round bit, the design can be used for tool handles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login