Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Create and Print Magazine (UK)

Posted by Alzibiff 
3D Create and Print Magazine (UK)
January 16, 2015 06:55AM
I saw an advertisement on the TV last night for another one of those "Buy the first issue cheap then triple the price for everything which follows" magazines - the sort which "gives away" parts to make something over an unspecified number of weeks, (they also sell binders to keep every issue in pristine condition on your bookcase). In the past - and this always seems to start in January - I have seen magazines which focus on building model aeroplanes, ships and the like but this one focuses on building a 3D printer.

Has anybody else seen this and maybe bought the first issue at £1.99? (Future issues are £6.99). Only available in the UK and Ireland according to their website.

Alan

p.s. The 3D printer which you end up with uses a 0.2mm nozzle which is interesting in itself - you don't see (m)any of those around! The website also says "Zero waste – prints one layer at a time using only the amount of material required for each object" Zero waste - Sheesh, I wish!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2015 07:00AM by Alzibiff.
Re: 3D Create and Print Magazine (UK)
January 16, 2015 03:40PM
There looks to be a total of 60 issues (or thereabouts), first one at £1.99, two issues with electronics at £14.99 and the others at £6.99. I am not sure what they do about other pricy items like the stepper motors. Total based on the published info would be £430.40.

I bought a copy of the first installment and the plastic parts look O.K. The magazine was also not too bad although one of the paper inserts about the history of additive manufacturing was patchy and just plain wrong in places. Visually the printer looks quite smart although the print volume is quite limited at a little over 100mm cube

If I had a child who was leaning towards engineering I would certainly consider this as it offers a moderately priced small printer along with education and practical experience of assembling it. If, on the other hand, my child was already in the thrall of geekdom I think that it misses by a country mile as all of the making is screw or snap together. I guess the same applies for adults who want to learn about 3D printing
January 17, 2015 04:04AM
I looked at the website for this but found essential info hard to locate.
Don't trust these mags as the finale item usually cost more then a market model.
January 17, 2015 07:01AM
This is what I have been able to glean so far:

It has a print volume of 140mm * 140mm * 135mm
It will print in both PLA and ABS so it has a hot bed.
It runs a customized version of Repetier-Host.
Has a 0.2mm hot-end.
Uses 1.75mm filament.

Price of the printer is $799, you can either pre-order it now for £699 (to be delivered in April) or build it yourself from the weekly mags. There are 90 issues, intro at £1.99, 2 at 14.99 because they have circuit boards and the rest are £6.99 which comes to a grand total of £640.10. If you subscribe you will automatically receive a binder every 15 issues at £6.99 each (1st one is free) so that is an additional £34.95, and you will receive all the subscription "freebies" by issue 6, and you will also get the digital edition of the mag.

The mag, issue 1, is a bit "fluffy" in content but I think that's to be expected for a 1st issue. Tutorial wise, it has started of with installing and creating a block model of a simple house in SketchUp, which the mag will continue with for a while and will later get into other sw.

It's not a bad intro to 3D for the average non-geek. The only problem is, do you have the patience to wait almost 2 years (90 weeks) for a printer with this size of print-area?
January 17, 2015 07:49AM
repanrap

The mag, issue 1, is a bit "fluffy" in content but I think that's to be expected for a 1st issue. Tutorial wise, it has started of with installing and creating a block model of a simple house in SketchUp, which the mag will continue with for a while and will later get into other sw.

It's not a bad intro to 3D for the average non-geek. The only problem is, do you have the patience to wait almost 2 years (90 weeks) for a printer with this size of print-area?

Thanks for digging out the info.

As for waiting, in my case, hell no!
I got bored just assembling my i3!
Yes it has the mag but you can get bigger kits for way cheeper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login