Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stuck between warping nad bad layers

Posted by Deithwen 
Stuck between warping nad bad layers
February 07, 2015 09:17AM
Hi,
so I bought a RepRap Prusa Mendel i2 a few months ago.
At first I printed with ABS, small things came out fine, but I experienced HUGE warping when printing anything bigger than a few centimeters, I tried to fix the problem by coating the bed in abs slurry, but without luck, the warping was a bit smaller, but still there.
Then I tried PLA, the warping went away, but now the extruder has problems. Every few minutes the PLA stops coming out of the hotend for a few seconds, this results missing/weak parts of the print.
My extruder is the e3d v6.
Thank you for all your help.
Re: Stuck between warping nad bad layers
February 07, 2015 10:32AM
Hi, did you do any searching before you opened this topic? There is already so much to find about this topic, I can really advice you to try and search for similar topics.

ABS needs a brim to print large objects, as well as special temp settings on your heated bed and absolutely no draft near the printed object.

Furthermore, the E3D V6 hotend needs good cooling on the cooling fins in order to keep the 'plug' from appearing during your print. A plug is a piece of softened filament that gets pushed together in your cold-end of the hotend and forms a wider diameter and wedges itself in the liner inside the part, I think this is a PTFE liner in the E3D V6 hotend.

Do you have a real E3D v6 or a clone? If it's a clone, good luck, I haven't seen anyone printing PLA successfully with it yet. However, you mostly only see it on forums when things go wrong so that's when people open topics to complain, so I'm not a 100% sure if nobody managed to print with PLA with it.

There is a lot you can try against warping, ABS juice is not the best solution, I would say print on kapton at least, and see about bumping up the bed temperature.

Good luck! smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 07, 2015 10:35AM
Ohmarinus
Do you have a real E3D v6 or a clone? If it's a clone, good luck, I haven't seen anyone printing PLA successfully with it yet. However, you mostly only see it on forums when things go wrong so that's when people open topics to complain, so I'm not a 100% sure if nobody managed to print with PLA with it.

I've printed a fair bit of PLA with an E3D v6. It works fine as long as you don't have too much retraction.
February 07, 2015 12:39PM
UkIan
Ohmarinus

I've printed a fair bit of PLA with an E3D v6. It works fine as long as you don't have too much retraction.

But it's not a clone, right?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 07, 2015 04:17PM
I think I solved it! Its either that my thermistor is not showing the correct temperature, or my PLA just needs a high temperature. I set the temp. all the way to 230 and it hasnt got stuck since. smiling smiley
Ive got the original E3D, and I have kapton tape on the bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login