Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X, Y and Z axis motors not working

Posted by morkis 
X, Y and Z axis motors not working
February 10, 2015 06:17PM
So i recently finished building my reprap prusa mendel i2 and wired it according to this image here: [reprap.org]. I plugged the ramps board into the power supply and turned it on, then used pronterface to do a test air print, however when the heatbed and hotend got to the required temperature, the extruder started moving, but the x, y and z axis didn't move at all. I checked that it was getting the required 12 volts and that all the connections were properly plugged in, and unplugged everything and then plugged it back in, however the axis still don't move. Here are the photos of my wiring:

extruder wiring

x, y and z axis wiring

Ramps 1.4 wiring

I should point out that the x y and z axis motors were also initially wired like the extruder motor, however they weren't moving so i rewired the connectors like the diagram shows, but it hasn't had any effect at all.

I also tried adjusting the power output to 12.2 volts but that did nothing either, and reversing the motor direction in the firmware also had no effect.
Re: X, Y and Z axis motors not working
February 10, 2015 06:41PM
sorry about the wait, my internet is a bit slow today, anyway here are my photos of the wiring, I've also twisted the red and grey wires together and the yellow and green wires and wrapped them around each other.
Attachments:
open | download - extruder.jpg (50.2 KB)
open | download - motor.jpg (113.8 KB)
open | download - ramps.jpg (134.1 KB)
February 10, 2015 07:02PM
When steppers don't turn you need to check the wiring to the individual motors- did you reverse one of the winding's connections, etc., and check that the drivers are supplying sufficient current to get them to move. Also make sure there are no mechanical reasons the motors can't turn.
February 11, 2015 01:16AM
You can check the voltage which the motor driver supply to the motor, with a voltmeter.
If it is too low or 0V: no order be sent to the driver, because of the firmware or operation;
If it is normal like the extruder motor's voltage: sth wrong with the motor.
February 11, 2015 03:02AM
I suspect that you have the wiring going to the motor wrong. If you look at the connector going to the extruder motor, you will notice that the connector is a 6 pin connector. However, the driver only uses 4 pins. Pins 2 & 5 are not used. The connector going to the extruder has a wire in pin 1-3-4-6. On your axis motor, you have wires going to pins 1-2-3-4. If you check continuity with an ohm meter, you should get about 3 ohms between pins 1 & 4 and 3 ohms between 3 & 6.
The wires going to the driver should be 1-4-3-6 in that order. It doesn't matter which end you count from.
Attachments:
open | download - Motor Wiring.jpg (69.6 KB)
February 11, 2015 05:55AM
I initially had the x y and z axis wired the same way as the extruder but it still didn't move.
February 15, 2015 07:36PM
After experimenting with the ramps board i found out that the problem was that three of the four drivers were broken. They have been replaced.
February 16, 2015 06:43AM
Do not disconnect the motor wiring or the steppers whith the ramps still powered up.
Then your steppers will damage.
February 16, 2015 08:20AM
Check if the voltage lever is correct as for a starter, then continue with see if the wiring is correct.

www.3dfilamenta.com - International Sales Platform for 3D Printing Products
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login