Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Browser Based CAD Beta

Posted by tjb1 
Browser Based CAD Beta
March 10, 2015 08:22AM
This software just went into BETA yesterday. I have not been able to get an invite yet but the videos look very nice and if it can export STLs it may be very useful for those of us who use Inventor/Solidworks at work but don't have the money to buy them or are just bad with Openscad smileys with beer

[www.onshape.com]

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
Re: Browser Based CAD Beta
March 10, 2015 08:57AM
OpenSCAD isn't the only choice. FreeCAD is free software and works pretty similar to most of the commercial CAD apps.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 10, 2015 09:05AM
Traumflug
OpenSCAD isn't the only choice. FreeCAD is free software and works pretty similar to most of the commercial CAD apps.

I tried that and still use it to convert STLs but it is much harder for me to grasp when coming from Inventor. I did get an invite to Onshape but it doesn't play nice with IE so I can't do anything right now but the starting page it loads you to is full of tutorials.

March 10, 2015 10:11AM
tjb1
it doesn't play nice with IE
Great. So all the complexities of designing something in CAD, but toss in browser inconsistencies and incompatibilities. To the cloud!
March 10, 2015 10:54AM
tjb1
... but it doesn't play nice with IE ...

It's not difficult to download chrome or firefox. Even if it's just for evaluation, it might be helpful to those of us who don't have the invitation.
March 10, 2015 12:46PM
jbernardis
tjb1
... but it doesn't play nice with IE ...

It's not difficult to download chrome or firefox. Even if it's just for evaluation, it might be helpful to those of us who don't have the invitation.

It is when you are at work trying things on break/lunch.

March 10, 2015 10:15PM
I guess that would be a valid reason smiling smiley
March 10, 2015 11:55PM
We're discussing this software over on the FreeCAD forum. An Onshape employee has joined in to answer questions and to provide "rumor control" (his words). Seems like a reasonable guy.
[forum.freecadweb.org]

tbj1
I can't believe people still use Internet Explorer, even in businesses... I suggest spending one break period downloading another browser (that is of course if your IT department hasn't locked everything up), then you'll be able to do something with Onshape.

From the Onshape guy:

Someone asked about IE - as soon as they conform to the WebGL standard, we will support it.
Ha! Why am I not surprised.

Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are supported.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 11:56PM by NormandC.
March 11, 2015 07:58AM
NormandC
We're discussing this software over on the FreeCAD forum. An Onshape employee has joined in to answer questions and to provide "rumor control" (his words). Seems like a reasonable guy.
[forum.freecadweb.org]

tbj1
I can't believe people still use Internet Explorer, even in businesses... I suggest spending one break period downloading another browser (that is of course if your IT department hasn't locked everything up), then you'll be able to do something with Onshape.

From the Onshape guy:

Someone asked about IE - as soon as they conform to the WebGL standard, we will support it.
Ha! Why am I not surprised.

Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are supported.

Well installing things has been blocked since certain departments fall for the "Here's your American Express bill" email too often but here at least IE is used for compatibility with certain internal company websites and according to IT Chrome/Firefox are not compatible with said websites.

Either way, I was able to get Firefox Portable and the website worked fine. I haven't really been able to play with it much but it is similar to Inventor/Solidworks. With that said, I don't see the company I work at even putting it on the list of considerations for CAD programs. We currently use Inventor and are deeply integrated into the Vault so it would be quite a change.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login