Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What will 3D printing be in 20 years?

Posted by senior_eduardo 
What will 3D printing be in 20 years?
April 09, 2015 11:22PM
This is an open ended question. I will check back in 2035.
Re: What will 3D printing be in 20 years?
April 10, 2015 02:40AM
I think 3D printing will change the world,it has the bright future!
April 10, 2015 08:49AM
Older.
April 10, 2015 10:50AM
Dust
Older.
Unless time travel is invented. Then it might be younger.
April 10, 2015 02:28PM
I am guessing that desktop printers will essentially be free, but filament (likely pellet / liquid form by that point) will be $100+ a kilogram in todays dollars.
April 10, 2015 03:53PM
A fully autonomous postal system will be so cheap, fast, and efficient that there will be no need for people to have their own 3d printers. You will upload files to amazon.com and the part will get dropped off minutes or hours later.

Its pointless for every household to own a printer when they will spend 99% of their time idle. Sharing a few extremely advanced machines (multimaterial, high quality, etc...) makes more sense.
April 10, 2015 04:10PM
Teleporting smiling smiley
April 10, 2015 05:21PM
Its pointless for every household to own a printer when they will spend 99% of their time idle. Sharing a few extremely advanced machines (multimaterial, high quality, etc...) makes more sense.
Couldn't the same argument be made for the printing press and computer printers? Yet here we are with many people owning cheap, disposable inkjet printers...
April 10, 2015 06:54PM
we'd be printing all kinds of stuff, governments would wants a piece. Some may even get a degree in 3D printing, so lets make sure we learn as much as we can now!

smoking smiley
April 10, 2015 11:54PM
Seeing as we already have 4D printing, I predict that in 20 years we'll have 6 or 7 dimensional printing. By the end of the century we'll be printing in all 10 dimensions using 1.75 x 10-32mm diameter filament. Strangely, it'll still get wrapped around the drive wheel, even though we won't be using drive wheels by then!
April 11, 2015 10:45PM
Printers will be the dominant form of intelligent life, as humans will be extinct
April 16, 2015 04:56PM
I think one significant difference will be that they'll achieve much higher precision -- down to a micron? -- by being totally enclosed and built from large, custom-made pieces. In other words, building your own won't really be an option.
VDX
April 16, 2015 05:10PM
... the Nanoscribe UV-resin printer has actually resolutions down to 25 nanometers, so maybe in 20 years we'll measure 3D printed parts in Angström?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 16, 2015 08:54PM
VDX
... the Nanoscribe UV-resin printer has actually resolutions down to 25 nanometers, so maybe in 20 years we'll measure 3D printed parts in Angström?

I thought it was 200nm?
April 16, 2015 10:21PM
senior_eduardo
This is an open ended question. I will check back in 2035.

Since your not in a hurry for the answer. I will give you the answer on Dec 30 2034... If I'm still around then...

tongue sticking out smiley
VDX
April 17, 2015 04:49AM
JonS
VDX

I thought it was 200nm?

... the basic process with the "two-photon-recombination" is more stochastic limited than optical and i've read somewhere, they can 'print' with 25nm resolution - a similar japanese project +10 jears ago claimed 10nm ...

The specs of the 'comercial' machine is a different game winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 17, 2015 05:07AM
I believe that there are only some aspects of the future of 3D printing that can be predicted.

• The era of the home made 3D printer is drawing rapidly to a close. This makes me very sad, but it is so despite my sadness.
  • The concept of making things to an exact requirement is now out in the wild.
  • With the vagaries of human fashions, company policies and just plain luck, any guess is likely to be wrong

If you go to your friendly local Museum of Computing you will discover just how wrong almost every guess on what the future holds was..

Mike
April 17, 2015 07:23PM
We will go to the other planets in ships 3d printed from nickle iron material mined from asteroids. Without weight that causes sagging or atmosphere to contaminate the material and with intense sunlight to power a large KW laser, they'll be able to build ships of any size as freighters between the planets. The missing piece is fusion power. We need fusion power to end our earth side energy problems, and to travel among the planets with travel times of months or even weeks. With fusion power life on Mars is practical and you can break down water to hydrogen and oxygen to boost payloads to an orbiting fusion powered freighter.
April 21, 2015 03:02PM
Fusion Power!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login