Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone used xtc-3d resin ?

Posted by Nikki81 
Has anyone used xtc-3d resin ?
April 18, 2015 04:56AM
doing some googling last night I stumbled across this [www.smooth-on.com] can anyone tell me if it is any good ?

thanks Nikki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 04:57AM by Nikki81.
Re: Has anyone used xtc-3d resin ?
April 20, 2015 04:46PM
I did use it for t-glase after reading an article on their site.It is a transparent epoxy and It makes prints more transparent by filling the empty spaces between layers (normally each layer is ovoid in shape, so the light is refracted, which diminishes transparency. When you fill the gaps between ovoid layers, light is not refracted that much and the print becomes more transparent. My printer has some Z wobble, so I cannot achieve complete transparency but it is better than its native form. I didn't use it for any other purpose (like mimicking acetone vapor treatment on ABS for PLA parts) so I cannot comment on it.

It is important to apply a thin layer, otherwise some droplets can form on the surface of the object. You also won't be able to use its applicator (a sponge brush) again as it solidifies so it might be a good ides to buy a few spares.
Re: Has anyone used xtc-3d resin ?
April 25, 2015 02:44PM
I swear by that stuff. It's really easy to work with and gives great finishes. It takes a little practice, though, because you always have to estimate how much liquid will be required to coat your solid and you have to resist the temptation to just slather it on. I used it on a very large print for my nephew and it turned out great. Also I heavily recommend cooking spray and wax paper to work on; I coat some 2 inch wood blocks in wax paper and then cooking spray, then rest the parts on those to minimize stick area. If you use cheap wax paper (more paper than wax) it will stick... permanently. I learned that lesson the hard way. Also, don't get it on your hands unless you have steel wool or super hard pumice-like soap... no, even acetone won't take it off.

My nephew's cosplay sword project:

A kaiju monster for Anime Boston.

Ignore both my filthy desks, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 02:49PM by Rett Mikhal.

"Pfft. Third dimension... what dimension do we even live in?" - Charlie Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login